Transferring files using router

thewasp 19:25 29 Dec 2006

I have recently set up a wireless router between my laptop and desktop pc.

How do I transfer files between the pcs using the network? (BT Voyager 2110)

woodchip 19:30 29 Dec 2006

Have you Networked them Using XP to do it. If not, Go to Control Panel\ Network Wizard, Start both or all computers and Printers The run the Wizard for creating a Network, This is in XP, also create a Floppy for the other Computer or use a Meme USB stick put it in the other computer double click on the file on the floppy or Mem stick. To use Press Windows Key + E to bring up Win Explorer, right click on what you want to share and do the settings under share

SLAYER 19:32 29 Dec 2006

right click file/scroll to sharing and security/tick in box of share this folder on the network.

howard64 19:46 29 Dec 2006

if you are using zone alarm or windows firewall on the individual pcs as well as the router you will have to enter the address of each pc as trusted. ie look at right click network places - properties and find your connecting device either network card or usb. Right click on it and properties then on the entry for tcpip and properties. Note the ip address this is what you enter on the other pc[s]. Do the same on each pc.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?