Transferring files from one PC to another

murgle 17:39 26 Mar 2006

I have just purchased a new PC for my Father with Windows XP Home installed. What is the easiest way to transfer the files from his old Windows 98 machine to the new one. There are far too many files to transfer by burning to CD so ideally I would like to transfer the files by connecting the machines together. What software and cable do I require to do this. Any help appreciated.

Kind regards

ade.h 17:48 26 Mar 2006

Normally, I would suggest the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard (just don't attempt to transfer settings; it's liable to screw up badly) together with a crossover Cat5 Ethernet cable, but the big question is - does the old PC have an ethernet port or PCI card? I wouldn't expect it to, given its age, but if could buy or borrow an ethernet card (they are less then £10), it would make it an easy task.

ICF 17:53 26 Mar 2006

Just take out the hardrive and plug it into the new machine.

uisquebeathus 17:58 26 Mar 2006

the simply way is you could do is add the Hard drive from the older pc onto the second IDE (the one which connects to the CD or DVD) cable in the winXP Pc then copy them over onto the new machines hard drive. You dont require any software Just make sure the computers a disconnected from the mains before starting any work, and be carefull not to dislodge anything else. disconnect the IDE ribbon cable and the four wired Molex connector from the CD/DVD and connect them to the older drive. restart it should show up as drive "D" or "E" then copy over what you want to drive "C".
another thing
network card in each pc and a crossover cable, then set up file sharing on each pc.

brambles 18:29 27 Mar 2006

Why not consider an external USB Hard Drive or even a USB Flash Memory device - they're available 1GB 2GB 3GB now and you could use for backing up afterwards.

Brambles

murgle 19:10 27 Mar 2006

Wow I can't believe I didn't think of the flash drive. This is perfect and will come in useful afterwards. Thanks everyone for you advise.

Kind regards

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone