transferring files to a new PC? suggestions?

kenwyn 22:50 26 Jan 2009

My mum has a 10yr old 'EMachine' from PC world running Windows ME. She mainly uses it for keeping in contact with friends & family via email, so has an extensive address book & file of emails. She is also writing her lifestory using the Wordpad programme installed on it. She recently bought a new printer to find it didn't support Windows ME
The machine has got slower & slower, so she has now bought a brand new Compaq PC; 160Gb of memory, 1Gb of ram &, more importantly, XP Home. My question is, whats the best way to transfer the contents of her PC (email address book, old emails & some files) to her new PC? The old PC only has a floppy drive for backing up & a CD reader (not writer). It has USB ports, so maybe connecting an external drive? Using the floppy drive is no go as the new PC doesn't have one. My other thought was to email her files to me, then email them back to her once I have connected the new PC up to the internet. Look forward to your suggestionas as always. Cheers.

GANDALF <|:-)> 23:04 26 Jan 2009

click here this will work with ME and is ideal at £6.

G

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 23:05 26 Jan 2009

USe File and transfer wizard on me to make a file containing all her docs on her old drive.

Connect old drive as slave on new machine or insert in an external caddy and run file and transfer on XP machine.

when satisfied all doc email etc on new machine format old drive and use as external backup of all those important files.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017