Transferring files from new computer

JAK68 14:59 14 Sep 2006

I hope someone can help, I have just bought a new computer and I am looking for a way of transferring everything from the old computer to the new one. I have got windows XP and I also do not want to re-install my office programs because I have lost all the relevant details I need for loading it onto the computer.
Any ideas ?

Jackcoms 15:09 14 Sep 2006

In XP click on 'Help and Support' and in the Search box type 'files and settings transfer wizard'.

That will answer your main question.

However, I'm a bit bemused. You say "I also do not want to re-install my office programs because I have lost all the relevant details I need for loading it onto the computer".

Surely, it's just a case of shoving the Office CD into the CD drive and following the instructions, isn't it?

VoG II 15:10 14 Sep 2006

Files and settings click here

You will have to install programs from the CDs.

Ptolemy 15:15 14 Sep 2006

if the volume of information is large enough try installing the your old PC's hard drive as a slave in the new machine. Once you reboot the drive will accessible from "My Computer" to copy or cut and paste files as you choose.

In regards of Office programs you'd have to clone you entire Operating System and all the appropriate program files from the old hard drive - this can be done (Powerquest Partition Manager and True Image) but I would think a nice clean install would be preferable.

wjrt 15:27 14 Sep 2006

click here

usb or lan

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?