Transferring files from damaged laptop

lightfeet 23:18 01 Jul 2007

My son accidentally dropped his laptop down a flight of stone steps & the screen is so badly damaged that nothing is visible when switched on, however the hard disc sounds to be spinning. I would like to save his documents to my desk top computer but since nothing can be seen on the laptop screen it would all have to be controlled from my desktop. Can anyone tell me how I would go about doing this & what leads I would need?

skidzy 23:22 01 Jul 2007

You will need to remove the harddrive and place this in a 2.5 usb caddy.
or buy a usb to ide/sata convertor cable.

click here

click here

lightfeet 23:47 01 Jul 2007

Thanks skidzy, that sounds easy. Many thanks for your so prompt reply

I had a similar thing happen to my laptop when I had forgotten to zip up my laptop bag. Fortunately the only damage was the screen;instant crazy paving. It is worth trying to connect your own PC monitor to the laptop (most have an external monitor connection) and select external monitor using the laptop keyboard - this is normally a combination of a function key (f1-f12) and the FN key bottom left, usually colour coded. It MAY be possible to boot the laptop up using your external monitor then transfer the files using a USB keyring or similar. If this works it will at least save buying any extra bits and also avoids the problem of accessing user document folders (especially if you are using XP/VISTA). Worth a try. Worked for me.

lightfeet 17:31 02 Jul 2007

I have followed Gazzer99's advice by connecting my own PC monitor & it worked perfectly after pressing FN key & f8. I was then able to copy "My Documents" to a USB memory stick. Thanks for this advice.
I didn't realise that 2.5" usb caddys were available so cheaply. I shall certainly get one of these & fit the old hard drive for my son to backup his files.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?