Transferring files between hard drives

23790954 21:42 25 Apr 2009

High there folks again.
I use a system which is run on Windows XP Pro.
For the system I have 2 internal SATA hard drives. Both have files of a different nature installed on them. Is there any way I can transfer files from hard drive 1 to hard drive 2.
I do NOT want to clone the drive or formit and reinstall the files. If I connect hard drive 1 to hard drive 2 via the SATA power cables, and the SATA data cables into the motherboard, which then shows Hard drive 1 as drive c and hard drive 2 as drive E on the system, is there any way to transfer files between the 2 hard drives successfully.
Thanks for all advice given.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:49 25 Apr 2009

dataa or picture files can be just dragged and dropped to the new location using My computer.

Program files are harder to transfer.

23790954 22:34 25 Apr 2009

Thanks for that Fruit Bat. The files I would like to transfer is the My Documents folder.
How would I transfer this. If it can be done by dragging and dropping, how do I carry this procedure out. It is something I have never tried. Many thanks for all your help.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:52 25 Apr 2009
  Quiet Life 23:04 25 Apr 2009

If you just wish to copy (back up) your Documents to another drive right click on Computer then Open then right click on Documents and Send to the drive you want then to be copied to.

23790954 11:40 26 Apr 2009

Many thanks for that info Fruit Bat. Have printed off the information for future use.
Quiet Life Many thanks to you also. I have just one query regarding your advice, which I value. I have tried to copy the My Documents folder, by the way you recommended, and which I thought would be possible, prior to my call for assistance, but when I right Click on the My Documents folder, and search for the second hard drive, Drive E, to where I want the documents transferred, it is not shown on the list of destinations for the folder to be transferred to. Can you enlighten me as to why? I am using SATA hard drives.
Many thanks to both of you for your help.

Quiet Life 18:26 26 Apr 2009

Yes your internal drive will not show only external drives.
Solution open Documents folder and drag and drop the individual files to your other drive.
In the other drive create a new Documents folder and drag and drop your files into that.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Interview: Camille Walala on her giant 3D installation inspired by childhood funfair visits

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Où regarder le British Open 2017 ?