Transferring Downloaded Programmes

bartonside 13:55 07 Dec 2009

I am in the process of transferring the contents of my old computer to my new one. Where I have programme discs, this is not a problem. However, I have a number of downloaded programmes on my hard disc. Can I transfer these in some way?

Clapton is God 14:04 07 Dec 2009

No.

You should go to the program's website and download the .exe file to a pen drive or something similar.

Then reinstall on the new PC

Kevscar1 14:16 07 Dec 2009

yes you can get a usb lead then use windows transfer if you have vista

Sea Urchin 14:19 07 Dec 2009

Or just download the .exe file to the new PC :@)

This is one reason why it is a good idea to save the .exe file to your disk when you download a program. Then in the future you can always reinstall it if necessary - either on the same computer or a new one.

jack 14:52 07 Dec 2009

When that download program comes to the desk top install it.
Then save the .exe file to a separate folder so that it can be reinstalled or transferred to another drive as req iiiiuired.
Otherwise simply download once more on the new machine.
I have all my downloads in a folder on an external hardrive- hundreds of 'em - New Year resolution - do a little clear out here me thinks.

DieSse 19:56 07 Dec 2009

With downloaded software, it can often be better to download afresh as versions may be updated/upgraded. And clearly it's "better" to have the latest version.

This is particularly true for security software which is frequently updated.

canarieslover 20:11 07 Dec 2009

I have a Software folder in my Bookmarks in which I keep the websites of all the software that I have downloaded. In Outlook I have a Registration folder where I keep any registration necessary. I export my Bookmarks & e-mails regularly so that I have all the information I need should I re-install. If you do the same for drivers and keep the websites in a folder in your Bookmarks they will all be available fairly quickly after re-install.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?