Transferring data

Retiredidiot 10:37 26 Oct 2007

I have a laptop and a desktop, both running Windows XP, and I want to transfer files from the desktop to the laptop. There are rather a lot of them so I don't want to use DVD's to do it how do I go about it?

100andthirty 12:32 26 Oct 2007

either
buy an external USB hard drive, rag files from HD of computer 1 to the external drive; then connect drive to computer 2 and drag files from external drive to computer 2.

or

connect the computers together using a crossover ethernet cable and run network set up wizard on each for "peer to peer networking".

Retiredidiot 14:15 26 Oct 2007

Thanks for the reply, the external drive seems the easiest option.

Diemmess 16:35 26 Oct 2007

.... depending on the size of the files rather than their number, buy a good pen drive.
They go from 125Mb to several Gb nowadays.

This will remain a useful gizmo long after the intitial transfer has been done.
In a minute or so you can transfer any file between two computers. No power supply needed, just a valid USB socket.

Personally I would choose one with a ribbon on the end of the main stick - Not the cap end, which is where so many seem to attach a security cord!

pchelper001 11:32 02 Nov 2007

i agree with Diemmess, a good website where you can get cheap memory sticks is mymemory.co.uk

they have a quick reliable service

Retiredidiot 11:45 02 Nov 2007

Thaks,everyone, for your help. I have bought an external hard drive and it meets my needs. Thanks once again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?