Transferring AVG Free

jack 17:48 10 Oct 2007

Having recently set up an elderly computer Time with ME] for dial up Internet as a 'get you started' operation for a brand new pensioner user.
Installed AVG free as an initial A/V protection.
Whilst on line its up date window came up and started the load- I let it get on with it and pressed the KV switch to get back to my machine.
About 20 minutes later switching back to take a look see I was astounded to see the time remaining was showing 20 minutes done and 8 hours plus to go.
Needless to say as it is my phone line I chopped the connection.
The question therefore is it feasible to copy all my files and dump them into appropriate folder on the dial up machine?
And of course would it work?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:08 10 Oct 2007

Have you got the original setup file for AVG on your machine.

avgas-setup-7.5.0.50.exe approx 6 meg ?

If so use a pen dive or burn to CD to copy to other machine and install.

citadel 18:10 10 Oct 2007

almost every pc mag has avg free on the free dvd.

brundle 18:14 10 Oct 2007

Avast is better for dial-up, AV updates are smaller click here

jack 19:54 10 Oct 2007

FB
This what I did -I keep all downloaded stuff on an external drive and - in this instance copied to Flash and transferred to the machine being worked on- this of course gave the bare program and is version 7.5.428
But my question is now that that the shell program[if you will] is installed will grabbing all the files and copying them across make that machine as up to date as my one - does it work that way?

Daveboy 21:05 10 Oct 2007

Create a folder on desktop (avg updates say), navigate to: click here
download the update files to the folder.
Transfer folder to recipient machine desktop. Open AVG control center,highlight "update manager" click propreties, under properties tab make sure no tick is in "Do not ask for update source" (you can re-enable after you have updated via this method). Now click on UPDATE and it will ask for the location of the files, so click on FOLDER and browse to your new desktop folder.

jack 11:55 11 Oct 2007

Well transferring the file content in that did not work.
It seems each is unique to a specific computer, many 'not allowed' messages ensued.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?