Transfering software on new pc

funkman25 14:05 27 Apr 2003

I have new pc running windows xp and have fitted my old hard drive as a slave drive. iwant to trasfer programes from the old hard drive to the new one. i know its not as simple as just draging and droping the file. what software would be best to do the job

AndySD 14:13 27 Apr 2003

Its not possable.... you can drag and drop your Data (mail/documents/game) but the programs you will need to reinstall on the new drive as they need to add themselfs to the XP registry to run.

devilsprofessor 14:45 27 Apr 2003

Or you could put the progs you want to run on yer new PC onto a cd (presuming you have a cd wr on old PC and run the prog on yer new PC from CD.
I did that with my new PC which also has XP when i got it last Friday :)

mrdsgs 15:27 27 Apr 2003

Partition Magic from PowerQuest includes "drive mapper" which I believe is used for exactly t5his purpose, either with partitions or hard drive changes.

mrdsgs 15:27 27 Apr 2003

Partition Magic from PowerQuest includes "drive mapper" which I believe is used for exactly this purpose, either with partitions or hard drive changes.

dth 15:33 27 Apr 2003

if else fails - try just dragging them across. you will find that about half will still work

pj123 15:37 27 Apr 2003

go to click here and download the programme xxcopy.

then you would need to go to Start, Run and type xxcopy d:\ c:\ /clone and press enter. I am told that xxcopy works with XP.

DieSse 16:42 27 Apr 2003

I agree with AndySD here -generally speaknig you can't just copy programs across. Firstly you won't get the additions to the registry - and secondly you won't find all the odds and ends of files it puts into the Windows folder and sub-foldes, nor any other system changes they make. You need to re-install the programs and copy across your data and settings.

DieSse 16:45 27 Apr 2003

He/she certainly doesn't want a cloned drive - this would wipe out the WinXP installation and any new stuff in the system - and be set up for the wrong motherboard/graphics/etc. Cloning drives is meant primarily for hard disk upgrades.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?