Transfering settings to a new pc

andy625 10:36 29 Apr 2008

I have recently changed pc. I moved all my files from my old machine to the new one via my external hard drive. I copied the outlook pst file and put saved it over the top of the one on my new pc. Everything went ok appart from a slight problem with Outlook profiles. I use googlemail so I didn't have to worry about email settings.

I have volunteered to undertake the same task for a friend who is not very pc literate. I recommended that they purchase a usb hard drive to do the file moving and also as a backup (they work from home and are not backing anything up at all at the moment).

I'm not sure if they currently use Outlook or Outlook express for emails. If they use Express can you still move the settings accross by copying a pst file, or is it different for Outlook Express?

Will copying the file (pst or whatever) bring all the Outlook email account details with it, or should I look at running the "files & settings transfer wizard"?

I have never used this application before and am not sure if it would be preferable to the method that I used for my machine.

anskyber 10:49 29 Apr 2008

Which OS system does your friend use?

andy625 10:50 29 Apr 2008

Currently XP, and the new pc will have xp too.

Sea Urchin 11:28 29 Apr 2008

For transferring either a free one-click backup program

click here

or use the built in system in OE

click here

andy625 13:34 29 Apr 2008

What about using "files & settings transfer wizard"? Is that any good??

oldbeefer2 13:38 29 Apr 2008

I've used it in the past - it was a bit slow, but everything I wanted moved, moved! For anyone wishing to transfer from an XP machine to Vista, a special transfer lead and CD (for the XP machine) is available from ebay for a tenner - 20 quid from PCWorld etc. Just done a friend's and transferred everything in a few minutes.

andy625 14:00 29 Apr 2008

Did you connect via serial ports with a lead, via a usb stick or over a network?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?