Transfering Hard drive

Preacher 19:39 13 Jan 2003
  Preacher 19:39 13 Jan 2003

Getting new computer, have a quantum fireball slave drive in old one running on Win98 - fat 32 which hold all my important data, (my documents ect) can I transfer the Fireball to the new machine 'as is'

A friend said that xp may not recognise ith fireball and that data was only compatible one way. Thoughts & opinions/advice apreciated Thanx

Alan2 21:03 13 Jan 2003

My guess is that you probably won't have any problems IF you restrict XP to FAT32 and don't follow the NTFS route on installation.

However I believe you should be able to convert both drives to NTFS after installation of XP.

Warrantee on new PC may be violated fitting slave drive.

Proper experts should be able to clarify matters for you.

Alan.

Preacher 21:26 13 Jan 2003

Thanx for your helpful reply. new machine is an evesham Evolution 2400+rk3 and will have xp pre installed. I will check on the warranty issue. Otherwise I will find another way to transfer the data. (no cd writer in old machine!)
Computers - we love em!
Blessings! BobM aka preacher

€dstow 06:46 14 Jan 2003

There is a facility in XP called "Files and Settings Transfer Wizard" which should do what you want.

Be very careful just sticking your old drive in your new machine and hoping for the best as you may end up with getting the worst!

€d

jimv7 07:20 14 Jan 2003

Norton Ghost will do exactly what you want, transfer data between drives, create an image of a drive, copy an image to cd writer plus much more.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?