Transfering files in Outlook help

golfpro 18:21 25 Nov 2007

I have one PC with XP and a Laptop with vista, I want to transfer my contacts in Outlook on my PC, to my Outlook program on my laptop
I don't have bluetooth only on my PC, can I send these to a CD and then transfer them to the laptop. If so HOW. If not how do I do this.
I have tried the export/import but can't find anything there.

mEmo99 18:32 25 Nov 2007

I've done this recently, you do need to use the export option, create a personal folder, name it and transfer this to a CD. Then on Vista, use import from file, choose personal folder option again and point it to the CD.
You may want to copy the personal folder from the CD to the hard drive on the vista PC as a backup...

VoG II 18:34 25 Nov 2007

This may help click here

golfpro 08:44 26 Nov 2007

I've been trying now for the last three hours, and I'm B****d if I can get it to work. When I copy it in a PSI folder on a CD, all I get is a load of computer grafics.

Taff™ 10:51 26 Nov 2007

I used the Easy Transfer Wizard from the Vista laptop. You copy the program to the XP PC and run it but select only the Outlook Files.

golfpro 07:50 27 Nov 2007

I'm not quite with you Taff. How are you copying it, what are you copying onto.
I have never come across so difficult to access as MS Outlook in my life.

golfpro 07:53 27 Nov 2007

I have never come across so difficult to access as MS Outlook in my life.

That should read:

I have never come across a Program so difficult to access as MS Outlook in my life.

Taff™ 08:31 27 Nov 2007

click here for an overview - If you just want your Outlook files you must use the customize options where mentioned and deselect all the other programs. Simply use either the CD/DVD or the removable media (External HDD or Memory Stick) option.

In a nutshell - WETW needs to be run on the Vista Machine initially, and you say this is the "New" machine. The wizard then copies itself to the removable media and you run it on the XP machine. Choose the customised option just to transfer your Outlook Files and settings and return to the Vista machine. Run the wizard again to complete.

Incidentally, which version of Outlook (Office) have you got on each machine?

golfpro 07:46 28 Nov 2007

I am using Outlook 2000 on both my PC and Laptop, its a little complicated to explain, but the office I work in has MS office 2000 Pro on its main and networked computers. As my two personal computers are use for semi work duties I downloaded just the Outlook from the MS Office 2000 Pro disc, I didn't need the rest just my Contacts and Diary.
Hope that makes sense.

Taff™ 08:59 30 Nov 2007

Makes sense. Have you tried the method I described yet?

golfpro 15:45 30 Nov 2007

Everything sorted, thanks for everyone's input, but it was so simple in the end.
As I have a Motorola mobile phone, plus the Motorola mobile phone tools program, which syncs your mobile phone and Outlook, it was simple. I only had to download the new drivers for Vista for the phone from the Motorola web site, and everything worked fine.
Don't know why I didn't think of it before Durrrrr.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Is this the future of VR and AR?

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment regarder le Bureau des Légendes en ligne ?