transfering emails from o/e to usb flash drive

88mph 15:49 07 Apr 2008

want to transfer all emails to usb flashdrive

Hi

I am not a gamer don't download movies / music but use pc to surf the net occasionally send rec emails etc. The pc was given to me by my brother.

I want free up space on the H/disc by getting rid of unused software & hopefully gain more speed by de-fragging the system too. I am looking to install only the software I need & also Kapersky anti-virus & Win Xp-Pro as the op system. I need help in the best way to do this. I don't know how to safely transfer all my emails from outlook express to a usb 4gb flash drive. The pc is running really slow. I only have 512mb of pc133mhz memory & a 20Gb H/disc.

How can I keep all emails in the received date order so they can be tranfered back in to outlook express once system has been de-fraged & all other software installed?

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks

johndrew 16:15 07 Apr 2008

Uninstalling unwanted software and doing a defrag of the drive will not affect your e-mails; this work can safely be done without any backing up at all.

However if you want to copy all e-mails to a safe area (flash drive or whatever) open `My Computer/C:` and go to `Tools/Folder Options/View` and select `Show hidden files and folder` click on `Apply` and `OK`.

Then `Documents and Settings/*YOU*/Local Settings/Application Data/Identities/Microsoft` and copy the whole file `Outlook Express`. If you try to edit or do anything to the file you may corrupt it and lose all your e-mails so just copy it.

If you need to copy it back at any time simply use the procedure above and copy the file to its original location.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone