Transfering data

Blackadderthe4th 13:10 22 Feb 2010

What is the best way to transfer data from a desktop to a laptop. i assume it would be by USB, but I seem to remember somewhere (could be wrong!) that the cable had to have some "electronics" to make the transfer safe! Any opinions?

Pine Man 13:14 22 Feb 2010

Depending on how much data needs transferring it could be as simple as using a USB memory stick.

Woolwell 13:18 22 Feb 2010

Best way is by memory stick or cd/dvd. You were referring to a USB data transfer cable click here but when I used one I found it was a pain and easier to use the memory stick.

Woolwell 13:19 22 Feb 2010

You can also do it over a wireless network.

Woolwell 13:20 22 Feb 2010

Knew that there was a previous thread on this click here

Woolwell 13:22 22 Feb 2010

Same replies a fortnight later!

Blackadderthe4th 16:17 22 Feb 2010

Thanks for all the replies and advice, I've been using a memory stick and cds up to now, probably continue that way!

GaT7 17:26 22 Feb 2010

"I've been using a memory stick and cds up to now"

Best way if you ask me, though not the most convenient. All the other methods can be a bit unreliable & can give one more work in the long run.

Maplin is expensive as always. G

john bunyan 17:39 22 Feb 2010

If you can afford it and have a lot of data, a USB Hard drive is well worth it as you can not only transfer the data but back up your entire system and data later on using, for example Acronis True Image 2010.In my view back up is essential in case of a HD failure.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?