Transfer Thunderbird from old HDD to new.

wotbus@ 11:28 17 Sep 2006

I would like to transfer my Thunderbird folders intact/complete from my old HDD to the new.
The old HDD is disconnected at the moment and I am running on the new. I have not installed Thunderbird on the new but would rather:
Power down / disconnect new and reconnect old HDD / power up / copy files to be moved to CD / reverse process / install files from the CD.
Questions are these:
where are all the necessary files located on the old HDD and will it work doing it like this?
Thanks.

Mavisk 13:04 17 Sep 2006

Do you still have an operating system with Thunderbird installed on your old hard drive?
If so, download this prog click here install it, make a backup of your settings with it.Then transfer your back up to a floppy disc, cd,or whatever.
Reconnect your new hard drive install "Thunderbird",and "MozBackup"
Then restore your stored backup to you're new PC.
Thats the prog I use for my Thunderbird backups,and I find it the easiest way.

Your Thunderbird profile is stored in
C:\Documents and Settings\User name\Application Data\Thunderbird,making sure your folder options are set to "show all files" someone else may be able to tell you how to do it that way,I've always just used Mozbackup.

wotbus@ 13:05 17 Sep 2006

I powered down / connected the old HDD and powered up. XP recorded the old HDD as another storeage device. I copied/pasted the Thunderbird folders from \Program Files and \Application Data. The shortcut I just dragged to the desktop. Powered down / disconnect the old HDD / powered up. Everything as it should be with no loss of peronal data.
This may help someone else.

wotbus@ 13:06 17 Sep 2006

Sorry Mavisk, just posted and read your post. Thanks for the feedback. I didn't know about Mozbackup, cheers.

Mavisk 13:34 17 Sep 2006

No probs,glad you got it sorted.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?