Transfer from Outlook to Outlook Express

stlucia 12:28 23 Nov 2006

I can export my Outlook email folders and files to .pst files, but how do I import the .pst files into Outlook Express on another computer? OE doesn't seem to recognise the .pst files as valid.

Ptolemy 13:10 23 Nov 2006

Open OE, click File - Import and follow the promopts for "Messages" and "Accounts"

stlucia 13:17 23 Nov 2006

Not at my own PC now, but I'm sure that's what I did, Ptolemy. But OE didn't "see" any valid importable files on the CD containing my .pst files.

Ptolemy 13:29 23 Nov 2006

You're first post says you are trying to export from Outlook. If you use OE's import facility you don't have to convert to .pst.

You might interested to know that there's a new (sort of) version of OE coming out.

It's currently a beta version, but Windows Live Desktop Mail click here does what OE does and has better junk mail filters and it can handle hotmail/msn accounts. The import functions work in the same way.

Ptolemy 15:59 23 Nov 2006

Apologies stlucia - I misread your first post.

I didn't realise OE was on a different computer.

As OE is standard on XP machines I suggest importing the messages to OE on the same machine you have Outlook on - this will avoid any compatability issues.

Then follow these instructions click here to transfer to the other pc.

stlucia 16:05 23 Nov 2006

I'm not with you, Ptolemy:

I'm trying to transfer the files to a different PC. Outlook (on the 1st PC) allows me to create .pst files (or dBase files, or comma delimited, etc.) onto a CD using the export option. It doesn't seem to allow me to simply copy the files onto CD.

Then OE (on the 2nd PC) doesn't seem to recognise the .pst files on the CD, so I can't import them.

I must be overlooking something simple ...

stlucia 16:07 23 Nov 2006

Just seen your 15:59 post -- installing OE on the 1st PC is not an option :-(

Ptolemy 16:19 23 Nov 2006

To avoid any issues with Outlook Express not recognising Outlook messages transfer the messages into OE on the same machine - this will mean that when you change between machines the messages are in the same "language".

Open OE on the PC with Outlook, then
File, Import, Messages - select Outlook and specify which folder the messages are in.

Now go to C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{long sequence of numbers and letters}\Microsoft\Outlook Express

Inside the Outlook Express folder you find .dbx for each folder in OE (which should be the same as it was in Outlook) plus a handful others. Copy all of these on to your CD or flash or whatever.

On the second machine navigate to the same folder and copy the files from the CD etc. into the folder.

When you open OE on the second machine the messages will be there.

Ptolemy 16:20 23 Nov 2006

"Just seen your 15:59 post -- installing OE on the 1st PC is not an option :-("

What operating system does the first machine have?

stlucia 16:38 23 Nov 2006

1st machine is Windows 2000. I'll print this thread now, and follow what you've said in your 16:19 posting.

Got to go now, so I'll be off line for quite a while. Thanks for your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?