TRANSFER OUTLOOK 2002 CONTACTS TO ANOTHER PC

Rabi 01:09 20 Nov 2003

Would like to transfer my contacts in one PC to another, both running OUTLOOK 2002 (Office XP).

I have a CD-Writer on both PC's, and wouuld like to do this with a re-writable disc.

Could someone please walk me through the steps?

Right from, whether I need to format the CD-RW or not? Can't seem to find a "Format" option under Windows XP Pro or Home. Don't I need to format?

jeffg 01:57 20 Nov 2003

You need to export the files using the Import and Export feature which you will find under the File section of Outlook. Create a .pst file and follow the onscreen prompts. Save the file to disk and then Import them into your second pc in the same way. I hope thios helps.

Rabi 02:13 20 Nov 2003

Thanks, but I seem to be having problems with the formatting (I think) of the CD-RW disc; have changed brand, and variuous discs.What am I doing wrong?

Terrahawk 05:22 20 Nov 2003

if it is just a contacts list it should fit on to a floppy disk

accord 06:58 20 Nov 2003

rabi

as jeffg says, export to floppy then import on new machine

pj123 13:38 20 Nov 2003

The way I did it was: Find all the files that have an extension of .wab Make a note of their location, copy to a floppy disk and then copy them back to the same location on the other PC. Worked for me.

Stone 16:44 20 Nov 2003

email them to yourself and pick up the e-mails on the new machine?

Rabi 17:08 20 Nov 2003

Thanks or all the suggestions. But,

1) Contacts file won't fit on a floppy, as it is 4.7mb in size.

2) Cannot email, we don't all have broadband...

3)Tried using both CD-RW, and CD-R.
Followed the on-screen prompts, and when I change the destiatio to my CD Writer (Drive E), and click on next, I am informed the file name is incorrect, and canot go beyond that point. So, I accepted the default, which is to drive C, and after that backup is created, I try to copy or move that file to the CD-R or CD-W, and both give me an error saying unable to perfor etc.

What do I do?

pj123 12:09 21 Nov 2003

Sorry, ßéLâ are they not called .wab in Outlook then? I haven't used Outlook, sticking with one I know.

Rabi 14:20 23 Nov 2003

Grateful if someone would assist me with this problem, Thank you:

"Thanks or all the suggestions. But,
1) Contacts file won't fit on a floppy, as it is 4.7mb in size.

2) Cannot email.

3)Tried using both CD-RW, and CD-R. Followed the on-screen prompts, and when I change the destiatio to my CD Writer (Drive E), and click on next, I am informed the file name is incorrect, and canot go beyond that point. So, I accepted the default, which is to drive C, and after that backup is created, I try to copy or move that file to the CD-R or CD-W, and both give me an error saying unable to perfor etc.

What do I do?

Brian-336451 14:48 23 Nov 2003

When you've managed to copy onto CD, on the new computer, copy the file across and make sure that you change the Read Only attribute of the file (usually Outlook.pst - well it is in Outlook 2000 anyway) to allow writing TO the file, otherwise it won't work.

Personally, I don't know about Outlook 2002, but in the 2000 version, all you do to copy it to CD is Search for outlook.pst, then I COPY that file to - say the root of C:\ for convenience, and point my CD burner at that file, its never failed yet - notwithstanding my comments above.

Good luck.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?