Transfer old VHS to laptop then to DVD

hawthorn59 07:09 22 Jul 2014

Hi!

I need to transfer old VHS tapes to DVD. I would like to do it via laptop, and do some very basic editing (cutting out sections, making titles etc). Then burn to DVD. I realize this is 2 or maybe 3 processes.

I know I need to capture the VHS to digital.....Ive seen gear like easy cap etc. I need something easy, and not too expensive. Can you recommend something good? Some of them come with software, but you can get it free online too I believe.

Perhaps you would be kind enough to give a short step-by-step guide, or refer me to somewhere else. Mainly I need to know the best equipment to get, dont need advanced editing.

Also, I guess I need at least 1 if not 2 backups of everything.....is transferring the completes movies to an external hard drive a good long term backup? Should I transfer them to 2 drives for security?

Using Win 7.

Many thanks

h

john bunyan 08:45 22 Jul 2014

This PCA article is worth a read:

PCA

The dual VHS/ DVD machines are still the easiest option, and they can be bought on e Bay quite cheaply. When it cones to editing I will wait for others to comment.

Maplin have a £30 gadget worth a look:

Maplin

colindotty 09:16 22 Jul 2014

colindotty, buy the Dazzle HD converter, very easy to use and has editing as well which is very simple to use, iv'e transfered all my vhs tapes this way, just connect Dazzle to any vhs player and connect to laptop 100% sucsess rate

BillSers 09:45 22 Jul 2014

I have a Toshiba VHS/DVD combo. It is useless for converting from tape to dvd because the background hissing is too noisy on the finished product.

hawthorn59 10:42 22 Jul 2014

Thanks everyone. Read a good few reviews there on amazon....this one definitely gets the best reviews out of 97 reviews (on Amazon UK)

Video-2-PC DIY Video Capture Kit.

click here come across it?

h

Anyone

Woolwell 10:58 22 Jul 2014

I've tried Dazzle, etc and the VHS/DVD ended up as the best option. A relative had a machine and copied the VHS. Better quality and quicker than via Dazzle.

hawthorn59 15:35 22 Jul 2014

Yeah its just that I will want to do some basic editing. Also some of the home movies are on different DVDs and I will have to select different scenes to make one DVD so I need to get it on to laptop.

h

hawthorn59 15:46 22 Jul 2014

This one suggested by John above looks very interesting. Theres a latest version 7 now its £60

click here

h

chub_tor 15:53 22 Jul 2014

I used one of these plus a scart adapter to transfer all my videos and then used Serif MoviePlus for the editing. It worked fine for me but it is a long slow painful process as the tapes have to be run in real time so that they can be digitised. Then you have to watch large chunks of them again in real time when you do the editing. Great when they are done but not something I would ever like to do again.

Woolwell 17:23 22 Jul 2014

I have loaded DVD's on to my desktop harddrive and then edited to burn a different DVD.

chub_tor 09:07 23 Jul 2014

Woolwell with those combi VHS/DVD machines, can you copy at a high speed - like some of the old audio tape to tape dubbing machines used to do - or do you have to do it in real time?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Aardman's new YouTube channel to share the work of independent animators

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017