Transfer MS Office to new PC?

guarro 13:35 29 Oct 2008

Hi there,

I currently have MS Office on my PC, which I bought and which came pre-installed when I got the machine.

I am about to but a new PC. Is there an easy way to transfer MS Office from my old to my new PC, or will I have to buy the software again?

Many thanks.

Dave

Ex plorer 13:43 29 Oct 2008

Don'T think you can transfer the office program over, you will need the disk.
You can transfer the files from PC to PC of MS Offices.

guarro 14:18 29 Oct 2008

That's what I feared. Though it seems mighty unfair that one has to fork out a shed load of money (£219 this time) each time one buys a new PC, for something that one has already paid for?

Clapton is God 14:31 29 Oct 2008

Why not do this time what you should have done last time?

Do NOT buy Office pre-installed, but buy it as a 'standalone' application.

That is, buy the CD on its own so next time you change PCs you have the disc available to load Office onto that new machine

guarro 14:53 29 Oct 2008

Yeah, I know that makes long term sense, but £430 for the disk just seems too huge an amount to pay. Guess I'll have to though.

birdface 15:20 29 Oct 2008

Shop about.If a student you can get it for £39 or so.Not sure if this is different or what you are looking for. click here

birdface 15:23 29 Oct 2008
  guarro 15:56 29 Oct 2008

Wow! Buteman, those prices are incredible! Unfortunately I'm neither a student nor a parent/guardian of a student, so not sure I can take advantage of the 'software4students' deals.

Think I need the 'Professional' edition, as I want Access and Outlook as well as Excel, Word and Powerpoint. I'm now sure I'll find it for cheaper than £430 - thanks!

natdoor 16:13 29 Oct 2008

I take it that Open Office would not be a viable option?

guarro 11:07 30 Oct 2008

Natdoor, I'm not really sure what Open Office is. Is it compatible with MS Word, Excel, Access, etc?

Taff™ 11:31 30 Oct 2008

click here for Office Pro Education Version.

Open Office is broadly compatible with Office and can open and save in MS Office formats. For Word and Excel it is fine but it`s compatibility with Access is questionable. It does have it`s own database program which is adequate but in my experience importing an access file into it is problematical. click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?