Transfer MS Office to new laptop. Is it legal?

bstock 16:51 09 Jan 2004

I have MS Office 2000 installed on a laptop that I do not intend to use anymore, unless of course the new one goes bellyup.

If I uninstall the components on the old laptop is it OK for me to then install MS Office on my new machine and to register it in the normal way.

Stormpool 17:04 09 Jan 2004

click here

I have a Retail Copy Of Office, and I replaced my existing PC. Can I install my copy of Office on my new replacement PC?
Yes. As long as Office was completely and entirely removed from the old PC, you can install your Office on your replacement computer.

I bought a Retail Copy of Office and installed it on my PC. Can I install it on my laptop, too?
Yes. You can install Office on your laptop as long as you are the exclusive user of the laptop. This means that you can install it on your laptop, but not your wife's laptop. It is important to understand that the EULA allows you to install the second copy of Office on a portable device like a laptop, not just some any other PC. In summary, you can install a retail copy on your desktop PC and your laptop. It does not mean that you can install it on two desktop PCs. You don't have the right to install it on two PCs. You have the right to install it on one desktop PC and one of your own laptops. Any other combination is not allowed.

bstock 17:19 09 Jan 2004

Thanks Stormpool, that's even better than I thought. Didn't realise I could have it on my PC also - thanks for the swift response and thorough link.

Cheers

--
bstock

Stormpool 17:21 09 Jan 2004

Remember that does apply to retail, OEM is a different matter (see FAQ).

Glad to be of service :-)

woodchip 17:35 09 Jan 2004

If you do not use it on your old computer there is nothing to stop you using it on the new one. You should not need to re-register

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?