Transfer iTunes library to new PC

chrismuir 00:16 08 Sep 2007

Hi

Thought i followed the instruction to transfer my iTunes library across to my new PC. I installed iTunes, opened it, then closed it and copied the iTunes folder from my old PC onto external HDD and then into the my music folder on my new PC.

Restart iTunes and all tracks and playlists are there...great! However, when I try to play a track i get the message 'The song XXX cannot be used because the original file could not be found. Would you like to locate it?' I can then browse the files location, but can't do this for each track (1000's). Is there a way to make iTunes locate all the files, or can someone post a step by step way of doing this. Have all the music on an external HDD so if need be am happy to uninstall iTunes and start again.

MTIA

Chris

User-312386 05:19 08 Sep 2007

Are they in the exact location they were before?

Open itunes and click on edit>preferences

Click on advanced then the general tab

Make sure the itunes directory is the same, mine is as below

C:\Documents and Settings\Tony\My Documents\My Music\iTunes\iTunes Music

chrismuir 21:42 08 Sep 2007

Ah. On my old PC the setting was ......\Chis\.... This was an error when my old PC was built which I never corrected. On my new PC it is set up correctly, and is set up as .....\Chris\.....

I guess that iTunes is looking for the pics under the old setting, which doesn't exist. Any idea?

darrenmo[email protected] 21:57 08 Sep 2007

consolidate library
click here
I dont use itunes,but i would think you need to reindex it to the new locations,delete library and start again
click here
click here

chrismuir 22:33 08 Sep 2007

Thanks. Deleted the library and then dragged the folder across into iTunes and all seems to be ok now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleures tablettes 2017