Transfer of Internet and Email Account Settings to

twitcher 17:55 12 May 2008

I have just purchased a new PC running Windows Vista Home Premium. Could anybody tell me how to transfer my current Internet and OE email account settings from my current XP (SP2) PC to my new Vista PC?

bic biro 18:28 12 May 2008

u could try programs/accessories/system tools/files and settings transfer wizard
dont know if it will do xp- vista tho

BurrWalnut 18:35 12 May 2008

To transfer your OE account(s) details:

1. Go to Outlook Express > Tools > Accounts > Mail Tab and select the first one you want to export. Click on it and then press Export. Save it to an external device. Repeat this procedure for any other e-mail accounts you want to export to Windows Mail.

2. In Windows Mail, go to Tools > Accounts > Import > Browse to the location of the file to be imported.

twitcher 19:24 12 May 2008

Not sure about the transfer wizard bic biro, I've tried it but won't know whether it works until I set up my new PC. I've saved the email settings thanks to your advice BurrWalnut. Just to be on the safe side, can I transfer my Internet settings other than by the transfer wizard? I use TalkTalk dial-up broadband using a Speedtouch external modem.

Taff™ 05:55 13 May 2008

In Vista you use Windows Easy Transfer which has replaced Files and Settings Transfer Wizard. You need to run it on the Vista machine first and transfer the program to your XP machine. Run it and select what you want to transfer. click here to read about it.

twitcher 17:07 13 May 2008

Thanks Taff I'll give it a go

Taff™ 18:20 13 May 2008

No Problem. Give us an update when you`re ready.

twitcher 20:55 20 May 2008

I set up my new computer last week but when I tried to connect to the internet using a "Vista disc" provided by my ISP the modem failed (I was told it didn't work with Vista!). I have just received and installed the new modem and in doing so re-installed my settings. As to the email accounts, I followed the advice given by BurrWalnut and successfully installed my 3 email accounts. Many thanks for your help everybody.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone