transfer hard drive to new pc

spixworth 23:31 19 Oct 2005

got new pc with winxp64 o/s. I would like to transfer my secondary hard drive from old pc (win xp pro)to new. After installing, it is seen in device manager, but no drive letter, it is not seen in my computer. I do not want to format because I want to keep photos etc.(It was slave in old pc) Have been into computer management but can't change drive letter there either.
thanks

josie mayhem 23:48 19 Oct 2005

Xp normally comes with a wizard that transfers files over from old to new?

Or If you know the make of your new hard drive, you should be bale to download a utility that will transfer/copy your old hard drive over to the new hard drive

spixworth 04:16 20 Oct 2005

dont want to transfer files. Want to keep second hard drive with everything on it.

jack 08:34 20 Oct 2005

My self built upgrade to 64bitMoBO/ processor, would not read the original disc and had to be format and reload.
Not quite the same as you if I read you correctly
you have Win64?
You could try putting the drive in a USB/Firewire caddy - both of mine work through this route.

Prancer 09:24 20 Oct 2005

I'm assuming you have entered the BIOS setup and the BIOS has recognised and assigned a drive letter to it? If not, your Windows will not know it's there.
If you don't know how to access the BIOS, just ask.

billyliv 10:33 20 Oct 2005

Hi, Check your jumper settings. Your new drive should be set as 'Master' and your old drive as 'Slave' without knowing the makes of your hard drives I cant advise on the jumper settings. Cheers, Bill

spixworth 04:46 22 Oct 2005

disc is set to slave, how can I assign a drive letter to it

AndySD 06:10 22 Oct 2005

Right click on My Computer then Manage then Disk Manager, is it there and does it say anything (like foreign drive)

spixworth 07:22 22 Oct 2005

its there as disc 1, healthy(active).
c drive there as disc 0 healthy(system)

User-312386 07:27 22 Oct 2005

right click "My Computer">Manage>Disc Management

Now right click on the drive in the lower pane and select "Mark partition as active"

spixworth 07:31 22 Oct 2005

that option is greyed out

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

The secrets of creating gory VFX

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache