Transfer Files from one Drive to Another

fat_scaff 13:59 04 Jan 2009

Hi,

I am running a Dell 4550 on XP and as its now a few years old the original c drive was only 60GB so i added a second drive some time ago 120GB

I want to transfer a load of the programme files but get an error message warning me if i continue certain programmes may not work

Am i ok to proceed! i am transfering them to a similar folder named programme files but its prefixed with F instead of C

Thanks

Diemmess 14:07 04 Jan 2009

The warnings are accurate if you try to move actual programs from the drive where they were originally installed.

The related data "Word" docs, picture jpgs for example and all music files can be moved to any drive you like, because Windows will find them if you cannot remember where your new folders were made.

canarieslover 14:09 04 Jan 2009

Your program will be looking for the files on the C: drive. You will really need to uninstall the programs and then reinstall them and indicate to the program, when asked, that the files be installed on F:. Unlees you have a great deal of programs installed I would have thought that 60gb was ample for OS plus programs. You should then chose the option of saving all the data files to folders on the F: drive.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?