transfer files from old pc to new pc

duce 00:43 18 Sep 2005

my son is going to university this week and he is taking the old pc with him. I have just brought a new one, I would like to transfer all our files (pictures and music)to my new PC. can anyone help me please without opening the computers. Both PC runs XP and SUB ports etc.

GANDALF <|:-)> 01:09 18 Sep 2005

Buy a memory stick, 256Mb for £12 from ebuyer and this plugs into a USB socket and you can copy files onto it and then whip it out and transfer them over. Easiest method to use and after you can use it as a backup device.

G

Thalmus 01:13 18 Sep 2005

1. Do they both have an ethernet socket? If so you can buy a crossover cable to connect the computers togther and transfer that way

2. Invest in a USB drive such as this click here copy the files to that then copy to your computer

3. If you can write DVD/CD's then copy to them and transfer to the other PC and you'll have a backup as well!

VoG II 08:37 18 Sep 2005
  duce 21:29 18 Sep 2005

thanks for all your help I will try to sort it out tomorrow and I will let you all know how did it go. thanks again

duce 20:37 24 Sep 2005

thanks for all your help, problem solved, in the end I have to buy a network card and cross over cable as the new pc does not have a serial port! however, I could not make the save game work even all files has been transferred across. any suggestions?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?