Transfer files from old laptop to new

Newbolt 19:49 25 Dec 2009

My daughters Christmas present was a new laptop [Compaq] running Windows 7. We want to transfer the content of the old one [other than the operating system, obviously], which is a Dell running XP home editions SP3, to the new. There is a wireless connection in the house and old and new laptop can access the net from it. A straightforward job for an amateur, or a job for the local computer shop? I don't have any cables to connect the two so maybe it can be done by wireless? Would appreciate suggestions, please.

woodchip 19:58 25 Dec 2009

You cannot Transfer Programs. You can get the Photos and Docs plus settings, But not Programs

Newbolt 20:00 25 Dec 2009

OK, sorry, poor phraseology by me - how to transfer those categories then, please?

woodchip 20:09 25 Dec 2009

You can do it using CD or DVD recordable discs or a USB Stick etc. Other than that you have to create a network between both computer, this need a Router and both PC connected to the Router and running when you run the setup wizard on the XP computer, you also need either floppy disc or USB stick to create a Network Setup Disc when running the Wizard, so you can run it on the other computer. Then you can setup File Sharing

Input Overload 20:09 25 Dec 2009

Get a short 'Crossover' network cable & use the network ports, you can get them for next to nowt. It has to be a crossover as opposed to the usual 'Straight' network cable used with routers. it wont be blazingly fast but it's as good as anything. Or if you have a wireless/wired system map the drives & drag & drop. how to do this - click here

Newbolt 20:17 25 Dec 2009

woodchip and Input Overload - many thanks - clearly a little more to this than meets the eye. Will have a deeper look am 26th when the turkey has worn off a bit. Thanks again.

chub_tor 20:50 25 Dec 2009

If you already have a wireless router which both PCs can access then you don't need any wired connection or USB stick. Set up the Network on the old and new machines so that File Sharing is enabled. On the new machine open up the file you want to transfer the files too eg My Documents, My Pictures, My Music etc then access the old machine via the Network and open up the old My Docs, My Pics etc. You should have two windows open on the desktop of your machine, one for the Folder that you want to transfer to and one for the folder that you want to transfer from. Simply drag and drop the files from one folder to the other.

chub_tor 20:55 25 Dec 2009

One tutorial obtained via Google for File Sharing with Window 7 click here

Newbolt 13:14 27 Dec 2009

Sorry to reopen this thread. All docs transferred successfully thanks to previous advice except emails [about 600]and contacts which are on outlook 2000 - no outlook with windows 7, so would appreciate a steer on how to transfer those items, please. Memory stick available if needed.

chub_tor 14:08 27 Dec 2009

You should be able to Export all the addresses from Outlook (WAB files) to a memory stick and import them into Windows Live on the Win7 machine. The outlook messages are PST files and I think (but I'm not certain) that you should be able to Export and Import them in the same way - you might have to do this Folder by Folder (ie INbox, Sent box, Deleted etc.)

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:11 27 Dec 2009

Outlook to Windows Mail
The best way to do this is do download Dmailer sync it allows you to synchronzie all your email data from Outlook, Outlook Express and Windows Mail.
Then you can restore that data to Outlook, Outlook Express or Windows Mail.
You can even synchronize your files and internet Bookmarks or Favorites at the same time this is helpful if you are moving computer.

Doing this will not cost you because you can do this within the free 30 day trial period.

You can download it from:
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?