transfer emails/address book from external drive to be included in current t'bird acct

Squibb 11:58 22 Sep 2014

I have had my computer reinstalled due to windows locking the c drive. I cannot restore from backup as t'bird acct now different to original. I have got the email accounts working for current downloads but how can I move the emails and address book from my backup drive without causing confusion. Can anyone help please.

Jollyjohn 12:43 22 Sep 2014

Hi

With thunderbird open, select view settings for this account - click on Local Folders - look on the left pane and there will be a path to the local folder with a XXXXXXXXX.default file listed. This is the current profile that is being used by thunderbird.

Then look in C:documents and settings\username\Application Data\Thunderbird\Profiles - this is a hidden file so you will need to change folder options to show hidden files.

There is a Profiles.ini file - open with notepad and you will see it uses XXXXXXXX.default as the profile.

The quick and dirty way to restore the old emails is to drag and drop the old profile into the profile folder and the edit the profile.ini file to use the old profile.

If you google for profile manager for thunderbird there is an add on that handles multiple profiles and will start thunderbird with a different profile as selected by you.

Squibb 15:04 22 Sep 2014

Hi Jollyjohn If I do this: "The quick and dirty way to restore the old emails is to drag and drop the old profile into the profile folder and the edit the profile.ini file to use the old profile." How do I combine the existing new emails with the old profile?

Squibb 15:30 22 Sep 2014

Hi Jollyjohn If I do this: "The quick and dirty way to restore the old emails is to drag and drop the old profile into the profile folder and the edit the profile.ini file to use the old profile." How do I combine the existing new emails with the old profile?

Jollyjohn 15:43 22 Sep 2014

I am not sure how to combine the two. When I use this method after updating a computer, I import and use the old profile straight away.

What you could do is tick the box "Leave a copy of message on server" on the new profile then forward any emails you want to yourself - switch to old profile and the eMails will be downloaded to it, then just continue using the old profile.

Jollyjohn 12:36 24 Sep 2014

If you are using imap settings, as opposed to pop, then simply using the old profile will be fine as the eMails will still be on the server.

Batch 17:21 24 Sep 2014

Address Book should be straightforward.

Find abook.mab in both the old and the new Profiles (e.g. .....\Application Data\Thunderbird\Profiles\YOURPROFILENAME

Make sure Tbird is closed.

Make a backup copy of the new abook.mab (better still, backup the whole new profile).

Replace the new abook.mab with your old one.

Restart Tbird and your addresses should be there.

One caveat - if you had (for example) imported addresses on the old Tbird, these could be in impab.mab. I found this when moving from Outlook Express to Tbird and the OE ones always showed up a subsidiary address folder as I recall. As I had not added any addresses in Tbird at that point, I simply copied impab.mab over abook.mab, started Tbird and deleted the imported OE address folder from within Tbird, leaving the full set of addresses not showing as imported (hope that makes sense). It's possible I could have just deleted impab.mab after copying it over abook.mab - that might have worked just as well.

Batch 17:29 24 Sep 2014

As for the emails. Firstly I'm assuming that you aren't using IMAP (but are using POP).

There are possibly several ways to achieve this (Tbird is extremely flexible). Tbird's Import function is the most obvious, but if this won't work.....

What I would probably try is to set-up a new email account from within Tbird under the existing Tbird profile. This will create a new set of folders under ...\Application Data\Thunderbird\Profiles\YOURPROFILENAME\Mail, e.g. ...\Application Data\Thunderbird\Profiles\YOURPROFILENAME\Mail\NewTempMailAccount

Simply replace the contents of the ...\NewTempMailAccount folder with the files from your email files from your old profile.

You should then see the emails under the new mail account when you start Tbird. You could then drag them to your pukka mail account folders. Once done, you could then delete the temporary email account from Tbird.

BUT once again, make sure you back up everything before you do anything.

Squibb 16:11 27 Sep 2014

Thanks for all the help you have given me. I have finally got it all together. I do use POP acct and I just kept dragging until T'bird accepted the info from my old profile. Then I could drag them to the location where they should be. For some reason changing the profile to what it was before did not work.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone