transfer dvd to vista movie maker

dondy 14:44 14 Mar 2008

hi please help Iam a 70yr old muso this stuff is new to me. I have found a vidio of my old band.I have put it onto a dvd using a philips dvd vcr recorder.It plays ok on my computer but i want to edit it in movie maker.Please how do i get it there or do i need another prog.to do this.

Jim_F 23:16 14 Mar 2008

Smartripper is best for this:
click here

You want to extract the DVD to a singke mpg file that WMM can edit. Unfortunately you can only export from WMM in the formats it supports but thats another question.

anchor 15:26 15 Mar 2008

I have no experience of SmartRipper, but if that works well, and you can import a suitable file into WMM, you can then edit the movie. I suggest saving the result as a avi file for best quality. WMM accepts the following file types:

asf, .avi, .m1v, .mp2, .mp2v, .mpe, .mpeg, .mpg, .mpv2, .wm, and .wmv

You could also then burn it to another DVD using the free DVDflic.

anchor 15:30 15 Mar 2008

Just noticed that you have Vista. DVDFlic can be unreliable under Vista.

dondy 15:29 17 Mar 2008

Thanks JIM F downloaded Smartripper ok and ripped my dvd onto an external hard drive.The files it ripped were vop files.So far so good openend wmm hit the add button clicked onto the file then it tried to work but wmm stopped working tried a few more times the same problem. is it the vop files the problem ? or is there something on smartripper i should have set.

MCE2K5 19:11 17 Mar 2008

Try this, Add this to the end of the VOBS,

.MPG

That will work.

Jim_F 10:31 21 Mar 2008

In case you're still stuck theres a good guide here: click here

anchor 11:13 23 Mar 2008

dondy: Do you mean "vop" or "vob" files?.

dondy 12:07 23 Mar 2008

Thanks everyone for your help managed to rip dvd to avi files.Edited it ok in wmm.But now another problem Vista dvd maker will not publish it to a blank dvd. what now do i do.

anchor 18:13 23 Mar 2008

Having no experience of Vista, I cannot help.

You might get more help posting this last question on the PCA Windows Vista forum.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?