transfer data from one pc to another?

Mavro 14:46 06 Aug 2010

Probably a naive question for which I apologise in advance!! Can I copy the whole of the hard disc of my pc, by that I mean all programs, files etc etc (including OE and saved mail) to an external hard drive and upload onto another computer? (I am thinking of buying a new computer but want to transfer all my data etc,) On ‘my computer’ properties it shows that I have used 55 gb of memory. I believe there is a program that will also do this….any ideas?? Thanks! Mavro

rawprawn 14:57 06 Aug 2010

Acronis True Image click here

Mavro 15:02 06 Aug 2010

Thanks Rawprawn will look into the software further. Cheers!

Diemmess 15:03 06 Aug 2010

In short - No
You can do most of these things the way you imagine, but even an image file made with purpose designed software (Acronis) will not transfer (and run) to a different computer.

The OS is the problem. Since Windows XP and onwards the OS is sensitive to the computer on which it has been installed and requires "activation" by Microsoft before it is able to run for more than a few days.

Applications too, need to be integrated with the particular OS and Computer and require installation once the operating system is validated.

Data (your letters, pictures, broadsheets, music etc.)is an entirely different matter and can be copied wherever you wish.

You can backup the whole lot and restore it all back to say a new HD, but it has to be the original PC.

rawprawn 15:28 06 Aug 2010

Sorry I don't agree with, Diemmess if you were trying to transfer your Operating System to your new computer I would agree, but as I understand it you are referring to all data which you can transfer.

rawprawn 15:30 06 Aug 2010

As Diemmess says though any applications would need to be installed on the new computer before you can transfer the relevant data

PalaeoBill 17:52 06 Aug 2010

There is a product called PCMover made by LapLink that will migrate installed applications from one PC to another. I used an older (and free - it was a special offer) verison of it to move a clients applications from from an XP Home desktop to his new XP Pro laptop without problems. It was easy.
The new version claims to work between XP and Windows 7 (with the caveat that some XP applications may not run correctly under Windows 7) - sorry I can't vouch for the new version but I'm sure someone here can.
click here
click here

Diemmess 18:06 06 Aug 2010

rawprawn - Agreed in principle!

If you hope to do any fresh work with data, the appropriate application will need to be installed first.

Splitting hairs -
Windows alone would be able to open picture jpg and some music files.

Also if like me you keep your data in named folders on a separate partition, these folders can be simply copied across ready for use. It all depends on personal choice and how you organise your HD.

DieSse 22:57 06 Aug 2010

If you want a free version of Acronis, both Seagate/Maxtor and Western Digital have a free download - for use in the manner you want to use it.

You need at least one of the drives involved to be the requisite make, that's all.

robin_x 00:44 07 Aug 2010

Seagate Disc Wizard (cut down Acronis) is free if you have any Seagate HDD on your system (int or ext)

I checked WD last week and it wasn't so clear cut.
Register and hints of paying. I didnt explore further on the WD site.

EASEUS Todo Backup is certainly free

I mainly use W7 Backup and restore / Create a System Image.

DieSse 09:29 07 Aug 2010

The Western Digital link

click here

Free. I've used it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone