Transfer of Data from old to new HDD

sundodger 16:12 19 Sep 2007

I have 20gb master and want to transfer its contents to a new 160gb drive(still in packet)-what is best routine to transfer this data and then put in computer

cream. 17:05 19 Sep 2007

The 160Gb drive may have software to clone the the 20Gb drive. You would just set the 160 up as a slave drive, use the software. Shut down the computer and take out the 20Gb, if you want to. Then set the jumpers on the 160Gb to master and away you go.

If the hard drive has no software, just go to the manufacturers website and download it.

What make and model is the 160Gb.

PS

Are you sure your computer will recognise a large hard drive, it's just that with your main drive being just 20Gb, your bios may have a limitation to what size of hard drive it can take.

sundodger 19:31 19 Sep 2007

Cheers for assist-160Gb is Maxtor
Used to have 120Gb drive but that got bad sectors so a 20Gb fitted as temp so I hope that answers you question

sundodger 09:28 20 Sep 2007

Cheers for assist-160Gb is a Maxtor Diamond Max 20
Had 120Gb fitted but went defective and 20Gb was fitted as temp.
Once again cheers for your pointers

cream. 10:50 20 Sep 2007

no problems in the bios seeing the 160Gb drive then:)

Seagate have bought out Maxtor, so you can use the Seagate software to achive your aim. Use the data migrate disk wizard half way down the page.

You could then format the 20Gb and use that as a slave?

Or

Have you tried to repair the 120Gb disk with the bad sectors?

cream. 10:51 20 Sep 2007

Oops. the link

click here

sundodger 20:05 26 Sep 2007

After much pulling out of hair-finally resolved my problems-the drive I had was defective-got replacement (Western Digital) and within an hour all was A ok-used Seaward Discwizard and it worked like a dream. Also went thru repair routine on original drive and found that was OK so I had been given a bum steer by a "friend"
Anyway cheers once again for your assist on this matter.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?