Transfer AOL Favourites, Address book etc to IE?

Diemmess 09:33 10 Feb 2009

I'm leaving AOL on Thursday after 12 years, and am signed up with a BT internet package.

How can I keep Favourites, Address Book and if possible old email that I would like to save?

I think this is a question best answered by any who have done it.

I would appreciate a blow by blow method, or a link to somewhere that has instructions for this.

Graphicool1 09:41 10 Feb 2009

Hi Diemmess Regarding the address book open your email provider click on 'File' in the drop down menu look for 'Import' 'Export' or 'Data & Transfer Wizard'

No promises, but Outlook & Outlook Express have 'Export' 'Import' and Incredimail has all three. If it has follow directions. However, AOL are notorious for not being helpfull if you are trying to leave them. Good Luck

kdt 10:21 10 Feb 2009

As an AOL customer but with with other email addresses like Hotmail etc...I have always updated my other a/c at the same time...takes only a minute.Hotmail & outlook are synchronised so transfer automatic and csv from say Hotmail can be transferred to Gmail/Yahoo. I doubt AOL will let you prepare csv? Talk to their rep/or online.Good luck.

Sea Urchin 10:22 10 Feb 2009

Ref Graphicool1's comment

click here

Diemmess 11:29 10 Feb 2009

Perhaps I'm a little late to use kdt's method. Like waiting for a system crash before backing up.

Graphicool and Sea Urchin - AOL keeps all this data in its own coded files.
At one and the same time, it is a system which I think is superb and certainly the main reason I have stayed so long, but I have yet to find a slick way of file transfer to OE or IE.
The link and the story of my change over is better suited to consumer watch or Speaker's corner.

This is really one for those who have survived the change.

feb 11:38 10 Feb 2009

Hi Diemmess
Use Plaxo to transfer your addresses click here You'll have to sign up with them but it's free.
With your favourites, I think you will have to transfer them one at a time, open AOL > open a web site > copy/paste to IE, long winded, but I don't think there is a quicker way!

feb 11:40 10 Feb 2009

Sorry missed a bit.
I've never used this so I don't know if it works click here

Diemmess 11:52 10 Feb 2009

That first link is a positive step worth keeping in mind.
I confess that with my Favourites I have already transfered the ones I want to a Word table - one at a time!

I think I will just let this thread run until I am an installed BT customer.
They just MIGHT have an easier answer.
At least I shall have various lists to use, and Aol software will still allow access to Email stored and Address book even when no longer online.

Diemmess 10:27 18 Feb 2009

Have left AOL after 12 years (they tell me) and am a very tremulous new boy with BTinternet.

Installation was automatic and fast. The transfer of addresses and favourite was not!
A very long series of sessions to copy and paste.

It was not helped by soon dazed state and unfamiliar screennames and passwords .... making an error here and there didn't help either!

BT tech earlier claimed he would move Aol address book for me and then after a lot of fiddling said there was no export option on Aol. I told him that to begin with!

Star help from FE (long may he reign).
I stupidly put in a BT address without the magic numerals they require, and so jammed the works that I couldn't log in with PCA.

Desperate I registered as a new boy and sent an email for help.

He gallantly sorted everything, killing the rubbish and restoring me to this splendid forum.

I find that Aol is still connected. Doubtless that will disaapear as soon as I close the account.
I have about 2 weeks before another payment is due so I will delay for a day or two more to make sure I have left nothing of value there.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?