Transfer AOL emails / setup

ajm 00:06 22 Feb 2006

Hi. What is the best method / procedure of transferring/saving emails,contacts, from an AOL account that is installed on one system to another system? AOL 9 is installed. Thanks

johnnyrocker 00:23 22 Feb 2006

what about file/import/export to a floppy and transfer to new pc?

johnny.

ajm 00:29 22 Feb 2006

I have been asked by someone to assist him. I have had no experience of using AOL at all.

ashdav 00:37 22 Feb 2006

try accessing the emails through AOLs website (use Google).If they are still there then it doesn't matter.
AOL keep your emails for a few days after they have been read then they are deleted unless they have been marked as saved.They are then kept on their server (not on your computer) so they should be accessible.

driving man 00:44 22 Feb 2006

If the files are of a reasonable size E Mail them to another screen name on your 2nd pc as an attachment which will then transfer any pictures as well--------OK there may be better solutions but this will help you for now

Diemmess 17:52 22 Feb 2006

If you own both computers and are using them from the same address so that you are only updating the newer computer,........ then this is what I do.

From "My Computer > Documents and Settings > All Users > Application Data > AOL > F_AOL 9".

(F_AOL 9 might be C_AOL 9 on yours!)

Then highlight both IDB and ORGANIZE and Copy to say your external drive, pen drive or CD.

Then go through the same search on the new computer until you can see the same folders and copy the idb and organize folders into 'F_AOL 9.0'
(If you are nervous and you needn't be, you can rename the two files you find there on the new computer first, and delete them later)

It is worth doing this, because you transfer everything personal to the new computer.... Email, Address book, screen names, password, My Favourites, all your settings, the lot.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

How modern book design was influenced by illustrated manuscripts

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Les meilleurs logiciels de montage vidéo gratuits (en 2017)