TPlink Extender

woodchip 16:51 03 Aug 2013
Answered

Is it normal for Download speeds to drop from round about 12000kbps when I connect through Router to about 4000kbps when through the Extender? though the connection in the corner by the clock says Excellent connection

woodchip 19:56 03 Aug 2013

Anybody

Secret-Squirrel 10:20 04 Aug 2013

"TPlink Extender"

Is yours a powerline adapter with wireless that creates a new wireless network, or is it one that simply boosts the signal of an existing wireless network? If you're not sure then post the TP-Link's model number.

woodchip 14:08 04 Aug 2013

Its like another modem, it boosts the signal

Secret-Squirrel 16:22 04 Aug 2013

There will be some reduction in network speed because the repeater has to receive and re-transmit packets of data. A 66% reduction in bandwidth seems far too much however.

When you're repeating or extending an existing wireless network then the general consensus appears to be that the extender needs to use the same wireless-channel number as the router so log into both units and check what they're set to. Or you can use a WiFi site-survey program like inSSIDer.

Housten 16:40 04 Aug 2013

Good Afternoon, woodchip,

I know nothing about how these work. But we recently had fibre broadband installed - incorrectly, but I have another thread on that - and I had to purchase one of their 'AV220+ with pass through' kits, and all I can say is that there didn't seem to be any slow down at all. Because we had many engineers attending to our problems the last one corrected our setup so I do not need it now, so I can not do a test for you. Sorry, but I hope you can get your problem and speed sorted out. Persistence will work, keep on, and on,and on,and on at your ISP. It should work.

Best of luck.

woodchip 21:15 04 Aug 2013

Just found this, "WDS may also be considered a repeater mode because it appears to bridge and accept wireless clients at the same time (unlike traditional bridging). However, with this method, throughput is halved for all clients connected wirelessly". and think it is my problem, I have not setup WDS in my router would it be better to do so?

but as its not setup it should not halve should it?

Channels are both the same, the Extender Settings are setup using a CD

woodchip 21:17 04 Aug 2013

PS both Router and Extender on Ch 7

woodchip 21:33 04 Aug 2013

Just tried it with WDS enabled and it crippled my Wireless speed 0n my HP laptop. disabled it and it gone back to over 12000kbps, with it switched on it dropped to just under 40000.

So I have no idea why it drops when using the extender, as the above speed is direct wireless to my 3Com router

Secret-Squirrel 08:54 05 Aug 2013

Perhaps there's some wireless interference occurring in the vicinity of your extender/repeater - it could be caused by a neighbour's wireless router. Try changing your wireless-channel numbers. Because you're currently on channel 7, 1 and 11 are the other two you can use.

woodchip 13:03 05 Aug 2013
Answer

Changed to Ch5 but no different will tick the box as I don't think its going to change

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?