Touchpad left button not working after Vista SP2

Eoghan 22:52 28 Jun 2009

I installed the Vista SP2 upgrade on my one-week-old laptop. The download and installation went without a hitch but now the left button on the touchpad is completely inoperative. Strangely, the laptop can still work normally when I plug-in a seperate optical mouse! Should I try uninstalling SP2 or is there any other way I can restore full functionality to the touchpad? Can anyone help? Many thanks.

Eoghan

Sea Urchin 23:48 28 Jun 2009

Try updating the driver for your touchpad

Eoghan 01:38 29 Jun 2009

I am unable to find the location of my touchpad driver -it is not listed under Device Manager. I thought that updating my mouse driver would suffice, but I received a message that my mouse driver is the latest available.

mooly 07:57 29 Jun 2009

Sure you have done this but in device manager have you expanded the tab for "mice and other pointing devices"
May be called something obscure... Synaptics touch pad etc.
Look down all the possible places, USB devices etc. Should be there somewhere.

Eoghan 00:45 30 Jun 2009

Expanding the tab for "mice and other pointing devices" did not produce any reference to a touchpad - just to mice. Strangely, when I used Control Panel to switch the mouse settings to left-handed use, I got the full left button functions working normally on the right button, but the left button did not then assume the functions of the right button;it still stayed dead! I have now returned the laptop to the store from which I purchased it and they have to send it away to their Technical Support Service, which means that I will be without the laptop for some days at least - something I didn't want to happen.
Many thanks for the suggestions !

mooly 07:15 30 Jun 2009

Be interesting to know what the outcome is.

legalrep 08:14 30 Jun 2009

Interested to know what make the laptop is my sons HP suffered the same problem?

Eoghan 13:38 30 Jun 2009

The laptop is a Targa manufactured Travellor 1534, which I purchased from Lidl, the German supermarket chain. It is a lovely machine - high spec and well-priced - but unfortunately it has to go to Germany for any service under warrenty. It is a free collect and return service but I am uncertain about the length of time I will have to wait before I see my laptop again. I did speak to Targa Technical Support in Germany and was told that it appears to be a fault with the touchpad and not a driver problem, but they will need to inspect the machine to be able confirm if this is so.
I am thankful for the interest and support from this Help Forum and I hope this info will be helpful to others. Many thanks to all!

T I M B O 13:48 30 Jun 2009

My SONY lap top went pants up when i installed Vista - SP2. I did a clean install because the USB ports stopped working. Never found out why this happened & sont engineers are also mystified.

T I M B O 13:48 30 Jun 2009

sont = sony

mimosa418 14:03 30 Jun 2009

I had the same problem on a Gateway laptop. Downloaded the Synaptics driver from Gateway and everything OK after installation.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone