Touchpad on laptop - how to do a Right-Click

CLONNEN 07:18 27 Mar 2007

I was called to a neighbour's house yesterday to sort out their sound problem on their new laptop.

I managed to get their sound working but was somewhat mystified by their mouse controls. Their laptop has a touchpad for moving the mouse cursor around the screen and doing a double-tap seemed to open things like a double-left-click on a regular mouse. But I could not figure out HOW to get the thing to do a Right-Click for bringing up right-click menus and had to go round the long way for everything.

Just how are you supposed to do a Right-Click on those touchpad things?

Technotiger 08:03 27 Mar 2007

Hi, what laptop? they do vary depending on make/type.

Totally-braindead 09:37 27 Mar 2007

The only ones I have used have 2 buttons below the touchpad and the right button is the same as the right button on the mouse.
Personally I don't like them but then I'm used to a mouse.

CLONNEN 11:04 27 Mar 2007

It is a Medion laptop running XP sp2 - I don't know the model.

The touchpad is just a silver sqaure below the keyboard - no buttons underneath or next to it.

Single tap = single left mouse click

Double tap = double left mouse click

But I don't know how to get a right-click on the thing. I asked the owners but they didn't know either.

Totally-braindead 11:06 27 Mar 2007

Only suggestion I have is look under control panel and see what it says about the touchpad for right click. Or connect a mouse, mates wife does that as shes not keen on the touchpad either finds a mouse a lot quicker but I suppose its what you're used to.

Technotiger 11:43 27 Mar 2007

Hmm, surely if it is new there should be a User Manual to explain where and what! Possibly on CD.

or, use a normal Mouse.

woodchip 11:48 27 Mar 2007

Just like a mouse right click on the right touchpad. To Drag click and hold on item and drag with touchpad

CLONNEN 13:11 27 Mar 2007

There is no "right touchpad" - just the one silver square.

Like I mentioned above it isn't my laptop - it belongs to my neighbours and was only setup last week by their son who has gone back to university this week.

The User Manual doesn't seem to say HOW to use the touchpad - in fact it doesn't seem to have a chapter about it anywhere. But then the Manual didn't state anything about installing drivers for the on-board sound either which is why they asked me to take a look at their laptop yesterday.

Thay have the laptop sitting on a tiny table in the living room. There is no mouse attached to it or any flat surface anywhere that could be used even if I supplied my own mouse.

On my desktop computer there is a button next to the right-Ctrl button which brings up right-click menus if pressed. Would this button be present on on a laptop keyboard as well? I didn't see one yesterday but I didn't actually look for it as I have never used this button myself on my own computer.

CLONNEN 13:20 27 Mar 2007

Here is a link to show you what sort of laptop it is click here

Batch 13:29 27 Mar 2007

Certainly looks like a bar of some sort under the pad, but whether it is split in two is difficult to see. I cannot imagine that it does not have two buttons though - it seems inconceivable that it doesn't.

Technotiger 13:33 27 Mar 2007

I would say that from looking at the pic, there are definitely two buttons under the touchpad.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?