Totally messed my computer up

jewelys 22:10 02 Nov 2007

Windows XP wouldn't load for me, i kept getting a message saying system32\hal.dll is either corrupt or missing, the computer wouldn't boot and I didn't get a disk with any of the factory settings on it so I didn't know what to do as my computer had just went out of warranty. I borrowed a windows xp disk from a friend and put it on my computer, since then i've had nothing but problems with it. Firstly it's not running right, secondly i have none of my original programmes on my computer anymore, thirdly i keep getting pop ups all the time, fourthly Windows xp keeps popping up and saying i need to register it, we tried to put the code in but it is too long, plus when i'm in the pubquiz room everything jerks instead of running smoothly.
I know i've been an idiot, can anyone help me please.

johnnyrocker 22:13 02 Nov 2007

fresh install? i would think no hope of prev progs.

johnny

woodchip 22:24 02 Nov 2007

You may still have your Programs as you may have got two versions of XP. but one will not boot

jewelys 22:30 02 Nov 2007

How will i be able to see if there's two windowsxp on my computer?

woodchip 22:34 02 Nov 2007

Well if you can still get into windows, Open Windows Explorer and you should see both lots of folders and versions. It will have given the new version a diffent drive letter

lotvic 23:36 02 Nov 2007

What make and model of pc is it?
You may have a hidden restore partition.

It may be possible to obtain the CD's to go back to factory fresh
How long have you had the computer?

woodchip 13:34 03 Nov 2007

If it's HP F2 starts the Restore program

The F1 Help Key 23:48 03 Nov 2007

Use the Bootcfg utility in the Recovery Console to correct the Boot.ini file:
1. Use the Windows XP CD-ROM to start your computer.
2. When you receive the message to press R to repair Windows by using the Recovery Console, press the R key.
3. Select the Windows installation that you want, and then type the administrator password when prompted.
4. Type bootcfg /rebuild, and then press ENTER.
5. When the Windows installation is located, the following instructions are displayed:
Add installation to boot list? (Yes/No/All)
[Type Y in response to this message.]

Enter Load Identifier:
[This is the name of the operating system. Type Windows XP Professional or Windows XP Home Edition.]

Enter OS Load options:
[Leave this field blank, and then press ENTER].
After you perform the preceding steps, restart the computer, and then select the first item on the boot menu. This should allow Windows XP to start normally.

After Windows XP has successfully loaded, the Boot.ini can be modified to remove the incorrect entry.

LithiumX 00:15 04 Nov 2007

both CD and Rescue parititon (which you shouldnt)M only recommendation is to borrow one form a freind. Another way is to find Hirens boot cd and get mini windows 95. Have that run and copy things to external hard drives. Then format (using hirens cd) and re install.

woodchip 14:58 04 Nov 2007

Should have said F11 starts Restore on a HP computer

Procrastinus 16:33 04 Nov 2007

I had similar problems. So gave up and installed Ubuntu - a Linux OS free not only in cash terms but also from viruses and all the other problems that besiege Microsoft. Try it, you can always go back to Windows!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?