Totally infected computer

Border View 15:49 15 Feb 2010

I am shortly to visit my niece to help her sort out her computer. From what she tells me it sounds as though it is totally infected with goodness knows what.

At the end of the day would a total reformat solve the problems without going down the anti-virus/malware/trojan/highjack route.

Sorry if this is an obvious question just wanted to check.

Also I have malwarebytes installed on my computer. Is there any way I could copy the program to a CD to install on her computer.

Would welcome your advice. Thanks

Border View 15:55 15 Feb 2010

PS Should have mentioned that she runs with XP Professional.

the hick 16:02 15 Feb 2010

I would download fresh copy of Malwarebytes to CD, and use this on her PC. If it is infected, probably best to start it in 'safe mode', then load malwarebytes from the CD, and run it. I did this recently to an infected laptop. It may take some time, mine did. Then shut down as usual, re-start.

provider 2 16:12 15 Feb 2010

Difficult to download anti-malware stuff sometimes as the malware may block it.

Have look in Pendrives and take the progs with you on a USB stick: click here

birdface 16:20 15 Feb 2010

You can use remote desktop connection so that you can connect to your niece's computer without having to visit her if she stays far away.
The only problem is I do not know if the problems on her computer would then be transferred to your computer.
Maybe someone can give you the relevant advice.

birdface 16:30 15 Feb 2010

Now it says free on it but not sure.

click here

rizlo29 16:35 15 Feb 2010

I'm sure reformatting rids all the viruses.Make sure she has firewall switch on too as without that you get hammered with viruses.

oldbeefer2 17:03 15 Feb 2010

Teamviewer is free and I use it a lot with my brother and several friends. It won't transfer any viruses from one confuser to the other.

Border View 17:04 15 Feb 2010

Many thanks everyone for responding. Food for thought here.

I know she would not visit dodgy sites, but her ex partner probably did. She uses a BT wireless hub and he connected to the internet via the hub with his Play Station. Is it possible that the infections came via the play station gaming sites?

Sea Urchin 17:25 15 Feb 2010

These days you know longer have to visit "dodgy" sites - many reputable sites are being hacked into and infected with rogue malware programs. Latest reports suggest that a new website is infected every 15 seconds. But it is also true that gaming sites can quite often harbour infections.

Border View 17:30 15 Feb 2010

Thanks sea urchin. Will post back with results after I have been to see the computer.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone