Totally blank ME windows screen on startup??

Nig 11:09 02 Sep 2003

Hi there
I have an AMD 800 running ME. On start up it has lost all its screen icons and program bar. Just a pale blue windows background and a moveable mouse cursor. It very briefly shows a minimised Explorer bar in the lower left corner on startup. Using ctrl/alt/del to pull up the close program menu shows nothing running at all. It will however autodetect a new monitor and goes through the add new hardware dialogs, then back to a plain blue screen. (This is not a Blue screen of death). Reinstalling windows makes no differance. Any ideas would be very gratefully received.
Thanks Nigel
[email protected]

-pops- 11:16 02 Sep 2003

"Reinstalling windows makes no differance."

Are you re-installing on top of the old version?

If you have nothing of importance on the disk, try a clean re-install after fdisk and reformat. If you do have anything of importance there, I think you have a problem.

Do you have a backup?

-pops- 11:17 02 Sep 2003

Note: it is best not to publish your email address on the forum. People can contact you if they wish by clicking the envelope beside your name

alcudia 11:33 02 Sep 2003

Have you just added a new monitor? Or is redecting one already there.

Nig 12:14 02 Sep 2003

The reinstall of windows is on top of the original, using setup /d. The monitor was simply a differant monitor at another location, so that responce was correct. I want to get the original installation up and running if possible, as I have no dos based program to back up the last weeks work. (there are a lot of directories to do using dos alone).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?