Total security Protection...rogue software removal

julius44 22:38 11 Aug 2009

Hello and good evening my friend just rang me, she seems to have downloaded, total security protection which I found is rogue software, and it says her laptop is infected......and I need to remove this for her.....i just want the easiest way to remove this dodgy software!!!!! ASAP!!!!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:40 11 Aug 2009
  birdface 06:33 12 Aug 2009

Maybe try the free version of this. Update it before you run it.

click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\

Tried the download button in your click here and Wot jumped in with a red warning.So maybe not safe to download from there.

Andsome 08:09 12 Aug 2009

It's always wise to have a full system back up in a program like Acronis, for just such emergencies. FAR better than any removal tools.

julius44 18:52 12 Aug 2009

hello buteman, and anyone else out there, after downloadng the malwarebytes anti-malware, i updated it as u saud the when i press full scan tge whole thing just vanishes, ive clcked on the desktop icon 3/4 tmes..and it just continues to vanish!!!!

mfletch 19:01 12 Aug 2009

Go to the MBAM program folder here
C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware {double click the folder}

rename mbam.exe to rabbits foot.exe
double click on rabbits foot.exe to start MBAM.
scan.. remove detected items...once clear you can rename the executable file back to mbam.exe

Does that work?

Sea Urchin 19:06 12 Aug 2009

That red download button is an advertisement - it is not part of the fix suggested by Fruit Bat /\0/\

birdface 19:15 12 Aug 2009

Try running it in safe mode.

birdface 19:19 12 Aug 2009

Many thanks for pointing out my error.Probably never had my brain in first gear at that time of morning.

julius44 19:39 12 Aug 2009

Thanks so much buteman, and all the other peoplefor your help.....i ran maleware bytes in safe mode, and it TOTTALLY removed total security from my friends laptop!!! Ive told my friend NEVER to go on dodgy webistes agan or download anything without contacting me first. This total security thing is a right nast peace of work!!!!!! Once again, thank you all for your help......and buteman u are a legend on the pc advisor forum u've helped me and loads of people on here time and time again, pls keep up the good work.

MFU 19:58 14 Aug 2009

What I did was when i rebooted my laptop I held del and went to safe mode and then did a system restore to a week ago. it worked for me.
it took me hours to get it right because the program blocked me from accessing everything. including task manager, and the system restore from the control panel.
It was a problem for over 12 hours for me but I finally got rid of it!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone