Total Security

Dekka123 12:57 19 Aug 2009

Hi all, This morning I had a programme that installed itself on my comp called Total Security. I attempted to remove it immiadetely it appeared without doing the scan that it kept urging me to do. The problem was when I trie to remove it in control panel I just kept getting a screen asking me to register and pay 59 dollars. In the end I had to restore an Acronis Image to get rid of it. System restore would not work. Can anyone advise me how to get rid of this programme if it happens again. Bearing in mind System Restore does not work. Can anyone tell me why and what to do about it. I am running win XP. Thanks in advance.

Sea Urchin 13:00 19 Aug 2009
  Clapton is God 13:01 19 Aug 2009

"Can anyone advise me how to get rid of this programme if it happens again"

I think that may be the wrong question.

You should be asking yourself:

"When was it installed?"

"Which site or sites was I visiting when it was installed?"

"Is my current security protection adequate?"

Dekka123 14:16 19 Aug 2009

Sea Urchin Thank you very much for your advice. I will be reading it this afternoon. Thanks again. Clapton is God thanks for your reply. I was actualy on the bbc homepage when I was suddenly greeted with "you have 42 threats" and it will cost you 59 dollars to get rid of them. I had lready run AVG, Malwarebytes and search and destroy and all reported no problems. Whilst this thing was on my computer it would not let me run any of my anti virus prorammes.I checked after I restored the image and everything was fine.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?