Toshibal laptop problem not solved

wobblymike 20:52 05 Mar 2006

Vog kindly directed me a few minutes ago on how to format a toshiba lap top hard drive. I put the OS disc in the drive and rebooted - instead of the usual press any key to boot from cd I got
Boot CD Rom Type: Non emulation booting
and then a load of gibberish on the screen - anyone any ideas?

De Marcus™ 20:59 05 Mar 2006

click here - for previous post

Hi wobblymike, when you say OS disk, are you referring to a full xp disk or a recovery cd?

wobblymike 21:04 05 Mar 2006

full xp disc

De Marcus™ 21:08 05 Mar 2006

Try setting the bios to boot from cd first, rather allowing to auto detect the xp disk.

De Marcus™ 21:08 05 Mar 2006

OR

rather 'THAN' allowing it to auto detect the xp disk.

wobblymike 21:09 05 Mar 2006

De Marcus™
Done that - that's the configuration I get the message i.e. with CD set to 1st boot device

De Marcus™ 21:16 05 Mar 2006

The message is basically saying it can't boot from your xp disk.

Try copying your XP disk to another CD and in the burning software, make sure 'bootable cd' is selected.

wobblymike 22:07 05 Mar 2006

Done that - no difference same message

SANTOS7 22:13 05 Mar 2006

When Making the CD, The Type of Emulation should be "No-Emulation" and the Number of Loaded Sectors should be 4.

wobblymike 07:29 06 Mar 2006

Guys
I took a shot in the dark and downloaded the maxblast 4 for cd utility and it worked so I have now formatted and partitioned using it. I solved the inability to boot from OS disk by going back to my original xp disc rather than the one I have used for some time which is one that is slipstreamed with SP 2 - don't know why it matters biut it clearly does.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?