Toshiba Satellite Pro A100 memory upgrade

Spark6 19:30 15 Jun 2009

I have ordered a 1GB stick of memory from Crucial and decided to have a trial run accessing the memory slot. The single Philips head screw retaining the memory cover is easily unscrewed but does not lift out of the cover. The cover then seems to be reluctant to lift off.
Does anyone have any info on this seemingly simple task as I do not want to damage the lappy?

Forum Editor 21:15 15 Jun 2009

and the memory cover comes off without too much trouble. Make sure the screw is fully undone, and then gently lever off the cover using a screwdriver or knife under the small tab.

The cover has two smaller tabs on the sides, and these click into (and out of) slots.

Just take it gently but firmly, and I'm sure the cover will come off.

Spark6 23:24 15 Jun 2009

Good man! The screw was fully undone, retained by a circlip, and, displaying my faith in your knowledge, I dispensed with my tentative finger nails and the penknife did the trick.
You're a star, many thanks. I hope this one reaches Google for others in doubt.

Boghound 14:31 16 Jun 2009

On some Toshiba Satellite's there is also another memory stick under the keyboard which is not that easy to remove and requires a lot of patience!!

Spark6 14:38 16 Jun 2009

I hope then that mine is under the memory cover. I'll report back when the Crucial memory is received and I try to fit it.

Spark6 19:37 17 Jun 2009

Oh dear. The memory is under the cover, as indicated by FE, in one of two slots. Belarc Advisor indicated that Slot 'M1' was empty and slot 'M2' had 512MB.
The Crucial 1GB unit arrived this morning, fitted it in slot 'M1', booted up OK but found that 'M1' had 1024MB and 'M2' was empty. Interchanged the boards and still had a total of 1024MB.
Removed the 1GB board, 'M1' was empty and 'M2' had 512MB. Removed the 512MB board and fitted the 1GB unit and the laptop failed to boot and unable to access bios. Running now with the original memory and will speak to Crucial tomorrow.

Spark6 20:18 26 Jun 2009

After an on-line chat with a Crucial advisor I was informed that the module supplied was 'high density' and I required 'low density', this after their scan had recommended the former.
Requested an RMA number to return the wrong one, this took a couple of days, the correct module arrived this morning and the machine is now OK.
The annoying part of this is the fact that the module cost £12.64 with free shipping and my return postage cost £4.95.
In future I shall double check the recommended to ensure that it is correct.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?