Toshiba Satellite C855-10Z, 7 Home Premium 64-Bit. Sound & Mic problems.

leebrown1990 12:42 08 Dec 2013

When windows boots, every other time the startup sound doesn't play and I know for a fact after that the sound won't work completely. Other times it works fine. Now it is getting to the point where the windows sound plays, test the speakers through Control Panel they work fine but it won't work in any program/ plug-in.

My Mic on the other hand is displayed as being in perfect working order in Hardware Manager but again, either not detected in programs or just not picking up any sound.

My Windows is up-to-date, likewise all my drivers, I've cleaned my registry. No I idea what is the problem. Please help!

Thanks in advance, Lee

chub_tor 13:36 08 Dec 2013

Did you get the drivers from the official Toshiba site?

leebrown1990 19:39 08 Dec 2013

I did yes.

chub_tor 18:36 09 Dec 2013

Have you looked in Device Manager to see if there are any warnings, exclamation marks, yellow triangles etc. against the sound components?

chub_tor 18:37 09 Dec 2013

Most laptops also have separate inputs for external mic and speakers/headphones, have you tried those and do they work OK?

leebrown1990 19:55 14 Dec 2013

No issues in device manager, and no, no output through the external speaker/ headphone jack. Again, multiple restarts seems to be the only thing "working."

chub_tor 10:44 15 Dec 2013

OK that one is a mystery to me too. Have you tried posting on the Toshiba Forum

rdave13 11:50 15 Dec 2013

Just thinking that it might be a program that's stopping the windows audio service? Try this but if it doesn't do anything you can change back. Right click the speaker icon in the notification area and select playback devices, click on speakers then select the properties tab then advanced tab. Untick the box for 'Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device' and reboot.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone