Toshiba Satelite p105 - s6177 internet connection

graann 08:56 20 Mar 2009

I have the laptop above which was originally loaded with windows vista.
I have for the past year or more run it with windows Xp.
I did have a problem when I first changed over to windows xp with the sound driver but i sorted that out.
The problem I am having now is that although there are no yellow exclamation marks in the device manager and the correct drivers are installed for the wired lan and wireless connection,when I go to my network connections,there is nothing showing the lan connection and I can not use the wireless of the laptop to search for wireless networks.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

mgmcc 13:27 20 Mar 2009

Although there are no "yellow" marks in Device Manager, are the adapters (ethernet and wireless) actually listed under Network Adapters in Device Manager?

graann 13:38 20 Mar 2009

Thanks for the reply.
In device manager under network adapters there are the following items.
1)1394 net adapter
2)intel(r)pro/100 ve network connection
3)intel(r)pro/wireless 3945abg network connection.

Thanks
Graham

graann 18:59 20 Mar 2009

When I open the network folder i get the following message :
The networks connections folder was unable to retrieve the list of network adapters on your machine.
Please make sure that the network connections service is enabled and running.
Not sure what this means.

mgmcc 08:07 21 Mar 2009

Go to "Start > Run", type SERVICES.MSC and click OK. Scroll down to the entry for "Network Connections", double click it to open its Properties sheet, check that it isn't set as Disabled and Start the service.

graann 16:10 21 Mar 2009

Hi,
Thanks for your help.
When I try to start after double clicking,comes up with : could not start the Network Connections on Local Computer.Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start.

mgmcc 09:09 22 Mar 2009

The "Network Connections" service is dependent on the "Remote Procedure Call (RPC)" service. Check that RPC is Started and that its Startup Type is set to Automatic.

Then the "Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)" service is dependent on the Network Connections service, so check that it is also Started with Startup Type as Automatic.

graann 16:22 22 Mar 2009

I found two RPC services.
1)Provides the endpoint mapper and other miscellaneous RPC services,set to automatic,Log on as network service.
Trying to start this service brings up ,could not start the RPC service on the Local computer.Error 2:The system cannot find the file specified.
2)Manages the RPC name service database,set to manual,Log on as network service.
Trying to start this brings up,could not start the RPC on local computer.Error 1068:The dependency service or group failed to start.
Right clicking on either of these two RPC,S and selecting properties has no effect,so unable to change any manual/automatic setting.
This is the same for any of the services in this services folder.
Thanks again for your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?