Toshiba Satelite 1900 - Won't boot

loudman 12:22 24 Jul 2005

I have a major problem. My Toshiba Satelite 1900, WINXP Home edtn,(not SP2 updated) P4,2.0Ghz, 256mb RAM, won't boot up.

I was running Norton Sys works - speeddisk to defrag the HD. The screen was blank because the powersetting I have switchs it off after 10mins of no input.

My son passed the laptop with the (lid)open as he called it, and thought I forgot to close it as the screen was blank, and of course the laptop shut down. When I reopened the (lid) screen again it would not display and the system had no POST beeps . I tried to boot from a recovery floppy - no joy - I then tried to boot from a WINXP boot CD - again no joy. A friend gave a lend of his SPINRITE v6.0 disc to boot from as he says it has its own O/S - again not joy. The battery and power adapters are all ok we tested them with a multi-meter.

One further note is that I have GOBACK v3 installed but due to the fact the laptop wont boot I cannot recover the last good point. I also believe that as I was running a defrag program when this accident occured the restore points will be cleared.

At this point I am stumped. I have some work on the laptop (Excel Files) that I need to access. Any suggestions/help would be appreciated.

My last resort after this forum is to go to PCWorld clinic which I have never resorted in the past. The laptop was bought in PCWorld and I never had a problem with it.

loudman 15:17 24 Jul 2005

Anybody got ideas of what I might try???.

loudman 17:55 24 Jul 2005

I suppose all the experts are resting their brains today!!!!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:28 24 Jul 2005

TRy

remove CMOS battery for 1 min to reset BIOS replace and then try to boot normally.

loudman 16:48 25 Jul 2005

I dont suppose you can tell me how to access the cmos battery on the satellite 1900-303. I reckon its behind the keyboard on the MB but how to access it is another problem.

Thank you for your reply it is probable the correct solution as I tried everythig else.

anchor 09:36 26 Jul 2005
  loudman 15:36 26 Jul 2005

Thanks anchor for your advise also fruitbat for yours, it is much appreciated

woodchip 15:42 26 Jul 2005

Look's like it may be the internal POWER Supply

woodchip 15:43 26 Jul 2005

i.e. the Main battery print on motherboard may have a bad connection, as it seam's by your post that the Laptop is Dead

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from Petya?

Microsoft Surface Studio – the artist's hands-on review

Original iPhone review

Comment mettre à jour Kodi ?