Toshiba Notebook unable to open DVD-R files

anchor 17:09 02 Sep 2005

I have a Toshiba Satellite 1800-814 notebook, fitted with a Toshiba SD-C 2502 DVD ROM.

It has no problem in recognising the files on a CD-R, or on a normal commercial DVD movie.

However, when I insert a DVD-R, or DVD+R, recorded on my new desktop PC, it is not possible to open any of the normal backup files recorded on the disks. These discs open without problem on the desktop. The same thing happens with DVD-R, & DVD+R discs recorded on a friends machine.

The notebook has Win-XP Pro.

Can anyone offer a suggestion to remedy this?.

anchor 19:27 02 Sep 2005

anchor 09:32 03 Sep 2005

Has anyone got any ideas?

pj123 12:09 03 Sep 2005

Did you finalise the DVDs? To play back on a DVD Rom you may have to.

anchor 12:25 03 Sep 2005

Thank you pj123 for your reply.

Yes, the disc was finalised; and the disk reads fine on the Philip's DVD-Rom fitted to the desktop PC.

anchor 12:46 04 Sep 2005

One final bump before I close the thread as unresolvable.

anchor 14:44 05 Sep 2005

It appears that nobody can help; so I will close.

BigMoFoT 15:34 05 Sep 2005

say backup files are you using the DVD's to backup onto? Are you using a specifc program to do this..

I think we need a little more info here and alittle bit more patience on you part as well.

Post back if you want to!

anchor 15:53 05 Sep 2005

Thank you both for your replies:

BigMoFoT: This notebook does not have any burning facility. I partitioned the hard drive and used Drive Image 7 to create a backup of drive c onto drive D, (the partitioned section). I copied this backup onto my PC. and used Roxio easy media creator 7.5 to burn the DVD.

crx1600: The term "single border" is new to me; I will investigate it. I do have a copy of Nero, and will give it a try.

anchor 16:13 05 Sep 2005

crx1600: It appears that, as you guessed, single border means single session, (as opposed to mutli session) recordings.

My DVD disc was a single session, finalised.

varidian 16:34 05 Sep 2005

from what i remeber a while ago toshiba drives where very funny reading unbranded media have you tried looking for a firmware upgrade

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?