Toshiba NB200 netbook and externak dvd writer

Totally-braindead 18:54 09 Mar 2010

Needing some advice (as usual).

Have bought a Toshiba NB200 netbook and this comes with 1gb ram and the 1.6ghz atom processor.
Now the problem. I stupidly bought a LG GP08 lite portable DVD writer for my netbook and (this is where the stupid bit comes in) when I tried it it was not seen at all, would not even fire up or open, tried it on my destop and its fine, reading the small print on the box it needs a 2.4ghz processor and of course the atom is only 1.6ghz.
So is it the speed of the processor or is the power, I suspect its the power as its a USB powered writer and since it will not even fire up I assume its not getting enough juice. Also could someone tell me if you get special external DVD writers for netbooks as they are all, as far as I know less that the 2.4gnz processor it asks for?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:05 09 Mar 2010

The processor speed is really only relevant when it come to the actual burning of the disk.

The Machine should see the drive plugged in, unless the the relevant drivers have been left out of the op system.

click here drivers for vista

mgmcc 21:19 09 Mar 2010

It is almost certainly a *power* problem. I mounted a standard PC internal DVD RW drive in a Belkin 5.25" USB 2.0 enclosure and that works fine with a Netbook, but the enclosure does have its own power supply.

Does your drive not have any facility for providing additional power? Some external hard drives, for example, can connect a second USB cable to provide more power.

woodchip 21:33 09 Mar 2010

I bought a Samsung Netbook same same cpu,ram, 160gig hard drive XP home. Like you I bought a Slimline Ex Multi DVD writer and It could not be seen by the Netbook. I changed the USB lead that is for data for a usb printer cable and it works okay. it works without connecting the other usb cable for extra power

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?