Toshiba laptop wont start up

jheff 16:41 09 Aug 2009

I have a toshiba M40x laptop which wont start up. I was using it yesterday and then went to put it on the floor to go do something and as i did so it switched off. Initially I assumed it may have overheated, which it has done in the past) so left it for a while, but when I came to switch it back on it wouldn't power up. The power light comes on when the dc adapter is connected, but there is no light for the battery, to say it is being charged ( there was charge in the battery however when it switched itself off). The power on button doesn't light up when pressed . i have put in a cd/ & dvd and the light comes on to show it is trying to read the disc, also, the fan comes on after about 30 seconds. The fan doesn't stay on without the dc adapter in.but will stay on all the the time otherwise. I had read on forums to disconnect both dc adapter and battery then to hold the power in button for a minuteish which i have done. the first time i did this i did then get the light to come on on the power on button and i had the self test screen for a matter of seconds then it shut down again. i now can no longer get anything at all when i press the power on button. i have also tried reseating the ram but when i opened it up there didn't seem to be anything to actually remove to reseat, so assumed the memory is internal. Not being a pc whiz at all, i didn't want to take the back off completely. Is there anything else I can try? and if so , ill need an an explanation in dummy language!! lol

birdface 16:58 09 Aug 2009

Try it with the battery out and and just the power adapter in.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:00 09 Aug 2009

First check:
is power adaptor working?
do you get voltage at the DC jack plug?

jheff 17:05 09 Aug 2009

yes I have tried it both with and without the battery, and Im assuming there is voltage with jack plug because the light on my laptop for the dc power comes on when its connected?

woodchip 17:55 09 Aug 2009

It may be as you put it down, Drive suffered a shock, Try removing Drive and see if it will boot to BIOS by pressing the Correct BIOS key. If it does try it again with the drive in

woodchip 17:57 09 Aug 2009

Hard Drives do not like shocks, should not be moved while working on Hard Surfaces

Technotiger 20:38 09 Aug 2009

Can you get it to boot into Safe mode?

jheff 06:22 10 Aug 2009

i cant get it too boot at all. Nothing happens when i press the power on button.

Technotiger 07:24 10 Aug 2009

In that case, I would say it is definitely a Power problem. The fact that you can still see 'lights' does not really mean anything, those lights need very very little power at all. I would say you need a new Power pack, or that there is a physical problem with the power connection in the laptop - quite a common occurrence.

jheff 10:10 10 Aug 2009

technotiger is replacement power pack something an idiot can do or a workshop job?

Technotiger 17:52 10 Aug 2009

Sorry to have been so long in getting back to you - I have been away, working on a friend's lappie.

Yes, simply obtain another power pack, then just plug in and go - or at least, it should if the connection socket on the lappie is ok.

Do a Google search for your particular make/model - have a look at the details of your own first.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone