Toshiba laptop won't start.

Zorgalite 19:32 26 Jul 2008

Hi there. Wondering if anyone can help with this.
A workmate of mine has a quite new Toshiba Satellite L40-17U laptop and it has suddenly died. It has vista and 1gb ram. It was working ok one moment and then the next time it was switched on it just gets to the first black screen with "press F2 to enter setup" and "press F12 for BBS POPUP" and then just starts a high pitch Beeeeeeeeeeeping. I'm sure I have read of simmilar problems before, but can't remember what caused it.
Also the problem is we are a long way from home and no OS software disc, also doesnt want to loose any files stored on the drive. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Z

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:17 26 Jul 2008

F12 at the beginning of the boot process will enable the boot menu. Then you can choose between different boot options and boot devices

it appears that the machine is not finding the hard drive.

try removing and refitting the drive then try a reboot.

Zorgalite 21:58 26 Jul 2008

Thanks for the reply Fruit Bat. I was kind of thinking along those lines, maybe something loose, as I have read that this warning tones/beeps are mostly always related to hardware issues.
You can press F12 but there is not any diagnostics option in the boot menu, just basic things like changing the boot device order and so on.
Incidently, the tone is a continious one, and quite high pitch (very annoying).
The machine is still under waranty so didnt really want to do anything major, but if I am carefull and using the correct screwdriver then would I be correct in assuming that you are ok to try this (removing and reinserting the drive), it won't void the waranty will it?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:45 26 Jul 2008

No removing refitting the drive is an easy operation and will not void the guarantee.

The other option is also to remove and refit the memory.

Zorgalite 21:40 27 Jul 2008

Have tried the above mentioned, but still no joy, just the same continious beeeeeeep. Anyone else experienced a problem like this?

Ditch999 12:41 28 Jul 2008

Its under warranty and personally I wouldn't go any further than what you have done already. Toshiba will probably ask you to do what you have already done re the hard drive and memory.
The sooner you ring them the sooner you can get it sorted.

Zorgalite 23:06 28 Jul 2008

Hi. Back again after some heavy work.
Have taken the laptop almost completely appart (I know, against your advice Ditch999, sorry) and checked every micro conector and every thing looks good. Found a really usefull guide at click here (but even with the guide, its not for the faint hearted).
Reassembled and switched on and exactly the same symptom, it is actually one very short high pitch beep followed by a very long (constant)high pitch tone.
Looks like the hard disc has failed, but not sure.
So will have to leave it as is for the meantime.
Regards. Z

woodchip 23:12 28 Jul 2008

Try starting Laptop Without the Hard Drive it will not Harm the Laptop, but will let you into BIOS if the Hard drive as stopped working

Ditch999 23:15 28 Jul 2008

One short then one long is usually mobo failure :-(
Toshiba would have fixed this foc

Zorgalite 23:19 28 Jul 2008

Hi.
It already lets us in to BIOS, but thats as far as it goes. The problem is we do not have OS software and are a long way from home so cant try to recover using that. I'm not sure what else to do, as I said earlier, there is no diagnostics option in bios like I have seen in other machines where you are able to check disc,memory etc and even format in some cases.
Thanks anyway though.

Zorgalite 23:23 28 Jul 2008

Ditch999, are you sure about that? If so thats a help. At least we know not to waste any more time on the damn thing.
But I have searched everywhere for info about the beeps and couldnt find that.
Thanks for reply, Z
I'm logging off now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Nokia 8 vs Galaxy S8

Best new design books 2017: From vintage infographics to the the psychology of type

iMac 21.5-inch (2017) review

Nokia 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie